Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lexmark printer issue in Win8  (Read 9035 times)

ken

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Lexmark printer issue in Win8
    « on: May 16, 2013, 04:55:07 AM »
    having moved to Win8 and using an old Lexmark inkjet X4550 printer, the print progress popup window fails to appear. printer works fine otherwise any ideas?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Lexmark printer issue in Win8
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:58:30 PM »
    http://www.justanswer.com/printers/7rear-just-moved-win8-loaded-lexmark-x4550-inkjet-ok-when.html

As with other older printers, scanners, sound cards, etc, your lucky if the mfr actually makes a newer driver to be able to print at all, and if there is a feature that is broken under new OS, that once worked under older OS, the mfr likely does not invest the time and money into making it functional.

For example my Realtek Audio chip in my (2008 model) Biostar MCP6PB M2+ motherboard came with a driver with a nice pop up that would appear when plugging in devices into the audio jacks. It gave you options to specify if you want it to be configured as a headset or sound system as well as it would detect a microphone and give options for that. This was back when I was running Windows XP Pro.

I made the upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium and thought all was well since the sound was working, but this pop up feature that use to give options was now gone. BUT the biggest problem was that when i went to use my microphone for online gaming with groups of friends my MIC was not working.

In the end I found out that Realtek updated the audio driver, but this chipset with the most up to date audio driver for Windows 7, the sound worked, but the MIC was non-functional. My solution to this was to have to buy a USB audio adapter for $10 and that allowed me to get my MIC back so I could communicate with others.

The motherboard manufacturer ended its support for drivers at Windows XP, but digging into the chipmakers I was able to find a Windows 7 driver, but they failed to test this driver with microphone, probably because the driver update project was handed off to the cheapest bidder in a 3rd world country.

Looking on google, I dont see a solution to bringing this pop up back for your printer.  :-\

ken

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:14:32 AM »
      many thanks for responding, I suspected as much. I suppose I'm lucky everything else works with printer. sad, it was a very useful indicator of print progress and inkjet cartridge condition.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
      New printers that just print are now very cheap.
      But you knew that.
      Lexmark still offers some support.
      http://support.lexmark.com/