Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player Won't Play  (Read 4507 times)

cinque8

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows Media Player Won't Play
    « on: May 21, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »
    Hi,

I have a Compaq 6515B laptop running Windows Vista 32 bit version. I have a problem with my Media Player. It will play Youtube videos  or other .flv videos fine, but if I try to play a DVD in my DVD player I get the following message:

http://www.screencast.com/t/pfovzdkt

So I went to the Mircrosoft site and tried to download another version of Media Player and got the following message:

http://www.screencast.com/t/p6gQzkHrIrF

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows Media Player Won't Play
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »
    One of my friends had a similar issue, although it wasnt Vista, it was XP. His solution was to not use Windows Media Player for watching DVD movies, so he installed a DVD Movie Player off of a DVD that came with one bundled with it. He then bought an external DVD-RW drive and that came bundled with better software called WinDVD Player.

I use PowerDVD on my Windows 7 system myself vs Windows Media Player for watching movies. I got this software bundled with a new DVD-RW internal drive that I bought when i upgraded from IDE to SATA for my optical drive for faster DVD Burns.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:03:44 PM »

cinque8

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:47:29 PM »
      This may get your attention.
      Windows 8 Does Not Have Windows Media Player? Alternative Players

He Geek,

thank you very much for your post!

I installed the Video Buzz media player, and I am back to watching DVDs on my laptop!

Thanks again!

blackrainbow

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Freaks geeks and autographs shop
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 06:18:45 AM »
      You could simply use VLC media play for the laptop ( windows 8 ) i prefer to use this over Wmplayer

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 07:16:58 AM »
      I have a Compaq 6515B laptop running Windows Vista 32 bit version. I have a problem with my Media Player. It will play Youtube videos  or other .flv videos fine, but if I try to play a DVD in my DVD player I get the following message:
      What version of Windows Media Player do you have?  Version 11 is the highest version for Windows Vista. 
      This may get your attention.
      Windows 8 Does Not Have Windows Media Player? Alternative Players
      What was the point of your post?  The OP has Vista, not Win 8.  Also, I believe the article you posted is invalid.  I have a laptop (purchased in 2013) with Windows 8 and it has Windows Media Player.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:31:50 PM »
      What version of Windows Media Player do you have?  Version 11 is the highest version for Windows Vista.  What was the point of your post?  The OP has Vista, not Win 8.  Also, I believe the article you posted is invalid.  I have a laptop (purchased in 2013) with Windows 8 and it has Windows Media Player.
      I wanted to use a recent post. The link posted links to alternatives for WMP. The  author mentions VLC is now getting attention with the Windows 8 people, but VLC works with many version of Windows.  And it often works when WMP does not. And it can even repair some damaged files. And it can re-write into another format if you want. Lots of good reasons to have VLC on any Windows system.