Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No product key?novo ideacenter last month. Aside from the fact that windows 8 s*  (Read 9840 times)

nyernga

Topic Starter

Rookie

Bought a new Lenovo ideacenter last month. Aside from the fact that windows 8 blows, the free trial of word, excell, powerpoint et all is up and now I have to actually BUY the product key?  *censored*

Say it isn't so or tell me theres a way around it. I mean c'mon gates, pay for notebook????????????????

frustrated in Georgia......................

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Nope...sorry.
    You have to pay...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Yep. If you don't like the price, buy something else.
    Or, try a free package.
    Best free Microsoft Office alternatives

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    the free trial of word, excell, powerpoint et all is up and now I have to actually BUY the product key?  *censored*
    Say it isn't so or tell me theres a way around it. I mean c'mon gates, pay for notebook????????????????
    Windows doesn't normally come with Office at all. If anything you should take issue with Lenovo for possibly misleading you into thinking it was not a trial version of Office. In fact, Bill Gates isn't even in an Executive position at MS anymore, either.

What is notebook?

As Geek-9pm said there are alternatives to MSOffice.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

nyernga

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I know gates is no longer at Microsoft but c;mon, you think if he walked in the building he'd be ignored? I was being more rhetorical than factual.

This is probably my 6th system since I bought my first used desktop back in 96 and the first time I've had no access to ANY type of document writing software without paying. There was always a "product key" to activate windows software. I've already called Lenovo and let them know what I think of this scam so today I will go to best buy and let them know as well.  In the meantime, I will try the alternatives.

a little less frustrated in georgia.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      OK.
      So you never use WordPad? I
      It exports in RTF, which does enough formatting for some  letters and documents.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      This is probably my 6th system since I bought my first used desktop back in 96 and the first time I've had no access to ANY type of document writing software without paying.
      Windows has a simple built-in Word Processor, originally Write and now Wordpad (as Geek mentioned) which are often sufficient for most people's document needs. It is the manufacturers that have given you Office/Wordperfect or other Applications. A good portion of prepackaged software included a full version of some Office Suite, but the decision to include it (and what to include) is more a cost analysis by manufacturers.

Also, one might think: "Ahh. well, Microsoft should include Office with Windows". That sort of falls apart when you consider what happened when they included Internet Explorer into Windows.

All that said, very few people actually use Word in such a way that makes what they need to do incompatible with Wordpad. Basically, for most people, Microsoft Word is overkill for their document processing needs, but Word has somehow become synonymous with "Word processor" so people are under the impression that they do need Microsoft Word.

And even if you do need a feature in MS Word that isn't available in WordPad, Usually that feature is in something like OpenOffice/LibreOffice, which is free. I think Wordpad and Open/Libre Office can even open and save standard Word documents, too.

There was always a "product key" to activate windows software.
      Yep, that would have been provided by the manufacturer. Usually Manufacturers (Dell, HP, etc) purchase hardware in bulk (for a bulk discount), build the machines, buy OS and full software licenses (eg Windows and Office, things like CD Burners, etc) in bulk, and then try to make  that back by offering trials; for example, Things such as "Norton AV" aren't added by manufacturers to help consumers, but more because Norton pays them to do it. The purpose being that Norton will make more back in the resulting sales than they paid the manufacturer, and the manufacturer, in turn, saves a bit of cost and can pass that saved cost on to the consumer in the form of a lower price, making their PC more competitive. It's a big industry and it's a huge balancing act for them to create a PC that looks and works well but uses the cheapest possible components and the most installed crapware to offset the cost. I guess in this case Lenovo couldn't justify giving a  full Home version of Office for some reason. Which actually makes no sense since Thinkpads are usually associated with "businessey" tasks.

I've already called Lenovo and let them know what I think of this scam so today I will go to best buy and let them know as well.  In the meantime, I will try the alternatives.
      Well in fairness, if anybody lied to you it was the salesman. Usually if something is a trial it will quite clearly state as much, but Salesman are a bit more apt- thanks to commissions- to leave out such "minor details". On the bright side, this gives you a chance to give some good free software a go, and you may be pleasantly surprised.
      « Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:59:37 PM by BC_Programmer »
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

nyernga

Topic Starter

Rookie

Well as might be expected, the salesman is no longer working there but the supervisor was helpful in explaining what's happened in the computer world since my 6 year nap. I will look for wordpad and see if it fits my needs. IDO have access to excel but thats by using my companies access information.

I'm thinking bud light tonight to ease the pain.

Thanks to everyone for the help, insight and tougue in cheek humor.......

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        DLoad and install Libre' Office and you will never moan about MS Office again...
        I think we mentioned it's Free...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        DLoad and install Libre' Office and you will never moan about MS Office again...
        I think we mentioned it's Free...
        Libre' Office is in list posted in reply #2
        I haven used Livre Office in Windows 7 64 bit and it behaves well, , albeit a 32 bit application.

blackrainbow

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Freaks geeks and autographs shop
        • Experience: Familiar
        Ms office is not a problem ther are many many free alterinavtes such as open office or leibra office

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        Ms office is not a problem ther are many many free alterinavtes such as open office or leibra office
        Yep, that's already been clearly stated.  ::)