Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 95  (Read 5234 times)

kurplegirl

windows 95
« on: October 13, 2005, 07:58:35 AM »
hi i am working on a computer that had windows 95 on it but would not boot up. so i tryed to  format it and it did then it  came up with error message recording bad clusters 4 percent complete and insufficent memory. i tryed to install windows 98 and it  went to start and stated not enough memory and when i go to c:/ drive it states  volume in drive c has no label volume serial number is 0c31-08fd directory of c:/ then says file not found i have to use e:/ drive for cdrom and it has a d:/ drive that i tryed to format but states i cant.it is a gateway 2000 computer also drive d has files in it such as scandisk command.com aresatrt and so on like it would in a c:/ drive. can anyone pleas help. also it is a fat32 system on a pri dos partition at 100 percent if that helps

GX1_Man

Re: windows 95
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 08:13:31 AM »
Make sure both drives are jumpered correctly, then get a WIN98SE bootdisk at www.bootdisk.com

Fdisk both drives, making the main drive (the master) as primary partition and active. The slave drive (drive D) would need to be set as Extended DOS drive and logical partition.

Then after formatting both drives after a reboot, install normally.

kurplegirl

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 08:48:54 AM »
it will not let me do anything on the d drive

gidget

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 09:09:27 AM »
I know this has nothing to do with ur post.. I just did not know how to start something on my own. I have a compaq presario 1277 and my mouse decided to not show up today when I booted up my computer. I was wondering if any of you know how I can get it back. It is a laptop and I know knowing. I would be forever in your debt if u could help me.
Thanks
Kristi

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 09:35:09 AM »
it will not let me do anything on the d drive

Can you see it is the BIOS/setup screen?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 09:35:59 AM »
I know this has nothing to do with ur post.. I just did not know how to start something on my own. I have a compaq presario 1277 and my mouse decided to not show up today when I booted up my computer. I was wondering if any of you know how I can get it back. It is a laptop and I know knowing. I would be forever in your debt if u could help me.
Thanks
Kristi

Do you have an external mouse you could plug in until we get this resolved? That would make it  a lot easier

kurplegirl

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 01:30:42 PM »
yes i see the setup screen all that comes on but i have to use a win98 boot floppy to get it to a:/ drive... and when i go to d:\ drive and try to format it states that  format is not supported on that drive. and on c:/ drive when i type dir to show whats in it it states  a invalid media type reading drive c:\ i usally get that error message from a floppy drive can u please help

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 01:43:55 PM »
Did you get a Win98 boot floppy as instructed? Did you select enable CD support when it started booting/ (that is the first and default choice) If that doesn't get it then you have a hardware problem with the drive. As this creates a rAM drive, that might be what you're seeing on D:

What about dir E:\?
dir F:\?

What kind of machine is this? You never said.

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 03:44:47 PM »
download the correct boot disk from bootdisks.com....for win95......as its not a bootable cd disk........you need the drivers for cdrom drive.....from memory this seems an old post?/~
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 03:45:31 PM by merlin_2 »

kurplegirl

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 04:54:43 PM »
its a gateway 2000  on dir e:\ is  reading from my cdrom and f:\ doesnt show at all says does not excist

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 05:03:15 PM »