Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New to this - Are these okay hardware specs ?  (Read 5557 times)

ivandrago_mustbreakyou

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
New to this - Are these okay hardware specs ?
« on: June 24, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »
EVGA2 GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1024MB GDDR5 128bit, Dual Dual-Link DVI, Mini HDMI, Graphics Card 01G-P4-3650-KR
amd phenom 9500 quad processor 2.2ghz
3070mb of ram
direct x 11
windows vista ultimate
640gb hard drive
generic pnp monitor (can wire up to my hdtv)
HP pavillion media center m8330f PC

Dont know if you need anything else ????
I am trying to play some newer games on like high settings maybe ? really dont know much about computers so help would be appreciated :)
"I'm not only the greatest, i'm the double greatest. Not only do i knock em' out, i pick the round."

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: New to this - Are these okay hardware specs ?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 02:01:21 AM »
Is this the system you already have, or something you're considering buying/upgrading?
First thoughts are that your CPU is fairly old now and will bottleneck your graphics card.  Your graphics card though isn't bad, it will suffice for most games at medium details.

ivandrago_mustbreakyou

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:00:34 PM »
okay thanks, i already have this computer.. any cpu suggestions that arnt super expensive ?
"I'm not only the greatest, i'm the double greatest. Not only do i knock em' out, i pick the round."

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »
You can't upgrade to anything better as your motherboard won't support it - because it's a HP system the upgrade options are very limited.

ivandrago_mustbreakyou

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 05:44:57 AM »
Okay so I didnt buy a new cpu because i cant upgrade ? Would there be anything I could get as I have been told I need a new processor if anything. I just bought a new power source (500W) to run the graphics card so what do you guys think I could run a game at setting wise with these specs ? (wont be able to put everything together for a few days thats why i'm asking instead of testing it out myself)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 05:52:29 AM »
What power supply did you buy?
You may run into overheating issues with that case, I've just seen it's a small media centre style one with not much airflow.
A new CPU would help but to do that you would need a new motherboard, and more than likely new RAM, your PC seems to use DDR2 rather than the more modern DDR3, and new boards use DDR3.
As for what settings you could run, it depends on the game and your monitor resolution.  For demanding games, low/medium, for less demanding games, medium/high - at a guess.

ivandrago_mustbreakyou

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 09:15:51 AM »
dont know the exact model (im at work right now) but it was a strock futureshop one for about 90$  ... and yah price wise its tight for me to drop another few huindred dollars for a new processor and motherboard, ill likely do that in the future... I previousley had a 8500gt graphics card which was not meant for gaming and was using a 327W power source and could run gta4 on low and arma2 on medium-low, should i see improvement or is the rest of my system going to hold back the new card ?

ivandrago_mustbreakyou

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 09:18:15 AM »
..any recommendations on motherboard and processors that arnt gonna devestate my finances ? :P

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 09:20:40 AM »
You'll see a huge improvement with the 650Ti, for sure.  The Phenom will hold the card back but not to the point where it will be unplayable or anything, there'll still be a huge difference.
As for recommending a new motherboard/CPU/RAM, what sort of budget were you thinking of?

ivandrago_mustbreakyou

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 10:00:17 AM »
okay well thats great news ! :) :P .. and say 350$ or less ? i dont know if thats enough for both, but i just dropped like 300$ yesterday so i cant afford alot right now

ivandrago_mustbreakyou

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »
.. my main goal is to be able to play arma 3 on medium settings without frame rate issues and gta4 though gta4 runs crappy on all systems so.. :P

ivandrago_mustbreakyou

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »
in relation to my board and the graphics card will they be compatible slot wise ?
Motherboard
•One PCI Express x16
•One PCI Express x1
•Two PCI
Card
PCI Express® 1.1 compliant or higher motherboard with one available dual-width X16 graphics slot

just unsure as to the dual width x16 ? would mine cover that?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 10:30:53 AM »
What's up with your User name ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ivandrago_mustbreakyou

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 10:35:30 AM »
lol why whats wrong with it ? :P .. (its from rocky 4 my all time favourite movie)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »
It looks broken on this end...with an icon almost at the end of it.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "