Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Looking For Alternative To Mouse But Windows Mouse Keys Not Working Properly  (Read 5529 times)

comporanger

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Due to some RSI issues, I'm trying to use the Mouse Keys feature of Windows 8 ( A feature that lets you move and click the mouse with keyboard keys). I cannot click certain screen elements like I can with a mouse. Examples would be the dropdown menus in Explorer, under View\Navigation Pane, which is the button on the extreme left of the Explorer menu (Windows 8 ) where you click the down-pointing arrow to select such things as "Expand to open folder". Another example would be the fields found in most applications that you tick with a check mark. I cannot tick the box with a keyboard key - only a physical mouse will work, which defeats the whole purpose.

Although the needed drop down menu isn't appearing, I do get a little "blink" on the screen that lets me know my keyboard input has been noticed, so to speak, by the computer. I would appreciate any ideas on this. I don't have to use Mouse Keys, and have looked into alternative programs that remap your keyboard keys to mouse buttons, but have found some of the same problems with those utilities as well.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    I've never used Mouse Keys but I'm curious about why you want to use it.  Do you have a mouse?

Scottastic

Greenhorn

• This message printed on 100% recyclable electrons.
      You should be able to use your keyboard for almost any situation.
      Use TAB to move between fields. SHIFT TAB goes backwards.
      If you have a radio button situation, the up and down arrows will highlight the different selections.  Use SPACE to check checkboxes.
      If you have to move from task to task, hold ALT and tap TAB until the correct task is lit, then release the ALT
      to move between TABS in a dialogue box, hold CTRL and tap TAB as above.
      I am also not familiar with win8 mouse keys, but often use my keyboard to navigate my computer.
      other keys of note:
      CTRL X Cut C Copy V Paste
      CTRL O open
      CTRL P print
      CTRL I italic, B bold, U Underline
      WIN R run box
      WIN F Search box
      WIN E Explorer

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      Scottastic, I believe he's asking about a special feature called Mouse Keys.  As far as I know, it is a feature of Windows XP but not later versions of Windows. 

The keyboard techniques you've described are common keyboard shortcuts that do not require any special feature of the OS.

comporanger

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
        Thanks for the shortcuts, Scottastic. It's convenient in some applications to use Tab to get around in a dialog box, but there are other situations that really require the use of some kind of mouse. I don't much use an actual  mouse; I use various alternative input devices that perform the same function as a mouse. I have some issues with repetitive stress injury in my wrists that make it painful to click, so I try to avoid that when possible. There are various ergonomic devices I can use to move the cursor around the screen, but most of them require you to click a button.

For whatever reason, it doesn't damage my wrist to type, like it does to click. So, I'm looking for a two-part solution where the left hand moves the cursor around with a device such as the ergonomic Contour Roller Mouse, and the right hand clicks the cursor, using  keyboard keys remapped to mouse buttons. Or, Windows' Mouse Keys.

I may just simply not know how to properly use Mouse Keys. Seems like they're working better than they were; I probably need to get more familiar with the utility. I'd be interested in hearing about it, though, if any one else is doing anything similar with their mouse.  Thanks for the input!