Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Build  (Read 5536 times)

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

New Build
    « on: July 23, 2013, 01:26:19 PM »
    Hi,
    I’m going to build a new PC as the existing one is rather long in the tooth (10yrs old) I’ve managed to add to it over the years but I’m sure the BIOS is about to give up as occasionally when I swap drives the BIOS hangs after searching for the Hard drives and before booting into windows.
    I have a few SATA drives that I want to incorporate and I have a Corsair 550w Power Supply. I’ve looked on the internet bur nearly all of the build sites are American and would appreciate help from a UK based supplier etc. but not to be tied into buying from them if their prices are not competitive.

I do not want a gaming machine but do want a fast PC without wasting money. I would like to have the ability to install at least 4 SATA drives have a Graphics card that will compliment my 2 displays mainly for photographic work and have a decent Audio card.

I ordered for my existing computer a SATA Power Switch so that I can switch which drives are in use (Mainly so that I can Dual Boot XP & Window 7 and also clone either drive to other HDD’s as back up in case of  Calamities etc.)
    Therefore the case must be big enough to cater.

Apart from the above I’m open to suggestions and recommendations as to what to buy. My budget is £600-900

Any Help appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: New Build
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »
    What is the budget ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:55:22 AM »
      The budget is as above 600-900 pounds.

Dave

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 02:49:44 AM »
      So you just need the PC itself, you already have displays, peripherals, etc?  Do you want to reuse your power supply, too?
      Do you want to build or buy the PC?

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:41:02 AM »
        Hi Calum,
        I have all of the peripherals and would like to buy and convert, but would consider a build if there are no suitable off the shelf alternatives, I haven't tackled a complete build but I've added and altered my PC over the years, I am however 70 yrs old so don't want too much hassle. I would need a big case though as my existing is too small. I was looking at the Coolmaster CM690. One of the problems I've got is that I live in Tenerife which means that I must transport everything from the UK to here. If I got a complete new build that had enough room to take the additional HDD's and Sata power switch then that would be ideal but I don't know where to start. I wouldn't need any operating system however as I would install my own HDD's.

Hope its all clear to you

Kind Regards,

Dave

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 03:55:05 AM »
        That makes perfect sense.  I used to work for a company called Overclockers UK - they sell components as well as full custom builds.  They have some configurator options on their site, where you can basically pick the components you want for the PC, or you can call them and discuss full custom builds for anything from a very basic office PC to a high end gaming rig - they'll build whatever you want, within reason.
        Building your own will work out a little cheaper, but perhaps taking shipping into consideration the difference may not be much - also, you'll get a warranty on the full system rather than individual components if you buy a prebuilt machine.
        Obviously, Overclockers aren't your only option, I only mention them because I know how they operate, their prices and service are good, and I know they will ship to Tenerife.  They'd also be happy to leave the appropriate power connectors, etc free and in place for you to install your HDDs and bits yourself when it arrives - at least, I know I did that several times while I was there.
        I'd advise having a look around on their website to get an idea of what's around, and maybe give them a call to discuss options, see what kind of system you can build up, and post back with your findings.
        I'll have a look myself this afternoon/evening and see what I can come up with for you, too.

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 04:00:33 AM »
          Many Thanks Calum,
          I don't need them to ship to Tenerife as that would be really expensive. I would have it delivered in UK and bring it back with me when I'm next in UK.

Will report back when I've done some more investigation.

Kind Regards,

Dave

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »
            After contacting OcUK I have what I think is my final requirements for my computer upgrade.

Unfortunately OverClockers don't seem very interested as I've not heard from them since Simon Bagshaw put me onto the Quotations dept.

I want a computer that has been assembled and tested with the supplied components installed so that I only have to install the components that I already have and to cost no more than £800.00.

Overview:-
            I need to upgrade as I’m getting signs that my motherboard/Bios is starting to pack in. At the present time I have 4 x 1Tb HDD’s which I use as follows:- 1 has XP Pro + all files, Documents etc (ie A full system),2 Has Windows 7 + Files and Documents, 3 Is a Clone of 1 which is used in case of trouble, 4 is a clone of 2 ditto. In addition I have a 2 Tb HDD which I use as storage. I recently purchased a 4 way SATA power switch which enables me to dual boot to which ever operating system I use ( Necessary because some of my software & peripherals only run on XP )

I want the supplier to supply :-
            A big enough case for the components they supply plus room for the components which I need to install (See List Below) the case needs to include a power supply and ventilation for all of the equipment.

A fast computer, (Not Gaming) but capable of running whatever Photoshop can throw at it and also for HD video processing etc. The Motherboard needs to have at least 7 internal SATA ports and possibly 1 eSATA

An ESATA port would be desirable but definitely need a few USB 2 and 3 external.

The Graphics Card should have outputs for 2 monitors (VGA, DVD-i) and also HDMI, it’s not necessary to be able to run all 3 outlets at once but I do need twin monitors

A decent Sound Card or on board sound card.

I don’t need an operating system but the computer can incorporate a 1Tb HDD to allow testing etc

1 DVD writer

(Anything I’ve Missed ??)

Unfortunately need 32 bit processing as most of my programs are 32 bit as well as my new Windows 7 and XP Pro, to upgrade my operating systems and programs would run into approx £2000.00.

List Of Equipment which I already Have which I will install:_

4 x 1Tb SATA HDD’s
            1 x 2Tb SATA HDD
            1 x 4 way SATA HDD Switch mounted in an external 3.5” Bay to provide access to switches
            1 Blu-Ray DVD Rom Drive
            2 Monitors (1= Benq GL 2230 D-sub/DVI  1 HP 2009 DVI/ VGA Input)
            Keyboard and Mouse
            Speakers etc.

Finally I am open to suggestions as to anything which I may have missed or would improve on either the system or what I’ve asked for.

Just in case OcUK don't come back to me is there any other suppliers you could recommend?

Regards,

Dave

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »
            Hmm, strange that they're not coming back to you, if I still worked there I would give them a kick in the backside for you.  As it is, I can get in touch and ask someone to contact you if you like?  Simon's a sound guy but he mainly deals with the shop counter stuff, rather than phone/internet sales.
            I don't know of any other decent suppliers who will build you a PC to your requirements simply because I haven't looked for one before.  Scan, Ebuyer, Aria, Dabs et al are OcUK's main competitors but they don't tend to offer the same customizability.
            If you like, you can PM me some contact details and I will ask someone from the sales team to get in touch with you - but no pressure, as said I don't work for them so have no vested interest here other than helping out.  If you'd rather not, or they still seem disinterested, I'll put you together a list of components that will suit your requirements.

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 01:49:15 PM »
              Thanks for coming straight back Calum. I would appreciate your help to at least suggest what you think is the best components and also if there's something you would include that I've missed. Unfortunately I'm tied to 32bit so is there no point in installing more than 4GB memory. Any recommendations would be appreciated before I either try OcUK again or even perhaps just buy and install myself. I'm not too keen on self install as with me being in Tenerife if there's any faulty components then I've a problem.

I've just sent another email to Ashley Bourne so perhaps he will respond in the next couple of days.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 01:51:35 PM »
              Yeah, that was my thinking with self install - a prebuilt system with you putting your components in is the best of both worlds really, you get the spec and customizability you want, and the warranty too.
              I'll put together a build list for you tomorrow, and give Ash a nudge as well to get back to you as soon as.

davecabezo

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 01:55:02 PM »
                Many Thanks Calum

Dave

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 03:21:15 AM »
                « Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:52:46 AM by Calum »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 06:52:17 AM »
                Oops...made a boo-boo on all of the links, thanks to trying to use a script to convert my basket into BBCode which didn't work too well.  That'll teach me for trying to be clever, they should be working now.  Anyway, just wanted to add that you should take the above as a rough guide, I used OcUK as a reference because I'm familiar with their site, and I find Scan/Ebuyer/Dabs etc hard to navigate.  I never buy elsewhere because OcUK always look after me and they're within easy driving distance.  However, the CPU in particular is quite expensive there, the faster 4570 is available for £20 cheaper at Amazon for example.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »
                If you copy/paste the links they work...
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "