Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DRIVER UPDATE GIZMO'S  (Read 40690 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: DRIVER UPDATE GIZMO'S
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
I work with a guy who is an out-and-out fanboi* and he says he'd never use Windows because of "registry fragmentation".

*Apple user and evangelist (Computer, phone, tablet, TV box)

It's interesting that for many people, Brand loyalties practically replace religious convictions, particularly in terms of the blatant misunderstandings of the "competition".
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
for many people, Brand loyalties practically replace religious convictions

I would go so far as to say that in this (at least where I live) secular age, brands do serve a quasi-religious function - perhaps Apple fans are the Catholics (think they are better than everyone else; ostentatious, given to veneration of symbols and regalia) Windows users are Anglicans/Episcopalians (easy going, broadly based), and Linux enthusiasts are the Plymouth Brethren (swivel-eyed zealots).

[EDIT] I hope I haven't offended anyone! I guess I have revealed both my tech and religious sympathies.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:58:34 PM by Salmon Trout »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »
The Apple fanboi guy actually said to me once he really hated people who use the word "fanboi" and thought they were so stupid, etc. (I have never said it to him). However the other day he called me a "fandroid" when he saw my Ice Cream Sandwich phone.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »
The Apple fanboi guy actually said to me once he really hated people who use the word "fanboi" and thought they were so stupid, etc. (I have never said it to him). However the other day he called me a "fandroid" when he saw my Ice Cream Sandwich phone.
The irony

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 05:43:56 PM »
I'm a recovering Catholic and the only issue i have with your statement is the connection to Apple...
Had you thought it out you would have come up with a different Religious connection for sure...

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 06:04:12 PM »
I'm a recovering Catholic and the only issue i have with your statement is the connection to Apple...
Had you thought it out you would have come up with a different Religious connection for sure...
I don't know. It seems like each statement was correct.
"think they are better than everyone else"
Arguably, this applies to any christian sect. That is to say, I've had far too many religious people "feel sorry for me"; and yet I could easily say the same thing to them and for the same reasons they would give me. Arguably this isn't exclusive to any particular religion; With catholicism when you have the Pope telling Atheists they can get into heaven it's sort of like if he told them they could get presents from Santa Claus, and seems to center around a "self-important" idea. That isn't to say that is unexpected, since all sects share it. Whether it's a bad thing is another question altogether, I suppose.

ostentatious
It's hard to argue that Catholicism doesn't have a lot of ceremony and fancy stuff. The Pope's Dress and jewel-encrusted hat; Vatican City itself; transmogrification, confirmation, etc. That isn't me trying to say whether it's bad or good but it's certainly present in a greater degree than most other sects.

given to veneration of symbols and regalia
Crosses, statues, stained glass symbolisms and various other things are actually quite common within. I've heard it mused that Catholicism almost makes Christianity Polytheistic through things such as Sainthood.

of course this is no place for this discussion. I  think we can agree that the fervor that some people hold to certain brands is very much the same as some might have for religious ideals.

Thankfully we don't have Linux users suicide bombing Microsoft Campuses or Apple jihadists building shrines to the ascended Steve Jobs.

Yet.... :P

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 06:51:02 PM »
I guess we should also keep in mind that all religions/beliefs are man-made...

That being stated i'm tempted to close the Topic...Apple or not.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "