Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USER settings for HD in BIOS  (Read 4544 times)

ils401

USER settings for HD in BIOS
« on: July 18, 2004, 10:03:35 PM »
I need to set the user settings for my new hard drive in BIOS. I set the 'type' to user, but then i can't set the individual cylinders, heads, etc. As I scroll through the options the things i want to change are skipped, and i have no idea what to do. Any ideas?

Raptor

Re: USER settings for HD in BIOS
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 04:46:24 AM »
What is it exactly you want to do and why?

You can set the hard disk to auto and choose what it should use, LBA, CHA, auto and Large. I donot think you could manually change the cylinders heads, etc.

ils401

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 08:51:58 AM »
Well the instructions i have tell me to enter 1023 cylinders, 16 heads, and 63 sectors. The cylinders are set to 65531, and I suppose i need to change it.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 09:03:25 AM »
The instructions you have got with your hard disk?

I suggest you let the BIOS auto detect your hard disk. Unless it serves a special purpose? I am not too knowledge concerning the configuration of hard disks.

ils401

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 10:15:37 AM »
The instructions came with the hard drive and are from Western Digital. The darn thing won't install properly so i i'm just trying to do what the troubleshooting section tells me to.

MalikTous

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 11:29:16 AM »
First, if the BIOS allows it, use the 'Detect hard drives' entry in the BIOS list. Accept the automatic detect for your HD in LBA mode.

Then go to the General, Standard CMOS features, or whatever the first BIOS page is, and see what the drive is set to. You will see something like Primary Master HD with the data after it. You will not be able to change data if it remains in Auto here, so set it to User, then change the LBA entry to Normal, CHS, or Large, whichever brings up the rest of the settings for you to work with. Then make the settings comply with whatever gets you closest to rated size on the HD, before setting it back to LBA.

Accept the settings on the BIOS and restart.