Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help interpreting results...  (Read 4602 times)

trixlette

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Need help interpreting results...
    « on: November 02, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »
    I have a custom made computer, it's about 6 years old.  It won't power up any of the peripherals.  The fan in the PSU runs, but I don't think that means much if it's not putting out the wattage.  It is a 600W Thermaltake PSU 24 pin.  I know a little about computers, I can  install a video card, cd/dvd player, HDD, cpu and fan, etc... basic plug and play stuff. 

I purchased a Power Supply Tester.  I hooked the power supply up to it, plugged it in and turned it on.  all the lights flashed green for a moment, then the only light that remained lit was the +5vsb light, nothing else.  No beeping nothing.  I then took the power supply out of the machine I am on now, I put it on the Power Supply Tester, I got a long beep, then a really quick short beep, and then every light on the right side of the panel lit up.

So, does this mean, that the 600w Thermaltake is dead?

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need help interpreting results...
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »
    My guess is the PSU is OK, but something is sucking a lot of current.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 06:29:50 PM »
    ...So, does this mean, that the 600w Thermaltake is dead?
    Did you read the instructions that came with the tester?

trixlette

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »
      There was no instruction book or a list of what the read outs mean, which is why I am asking.  below is a picture of what it says on the back. I will just type it out incase it is hard to read:

Product introduction

The power supply is a robust voltage, tester for PC power supplu, ATX, BTX and ITX compliant power supplies can be tested, LCD's indicate the status of voltage. The PC/SPS is suitable for the ambitious hobby user, as well as for quick functional check in specialiazed trade.

The Methods of Operation

a.  Plug power supply 24 pin and P4, P6 or P8 into the corresponding jack of the power test suite.
      b.  Power on the supply of power, will hear "Dudu" ring, If no flickerthen the power supply output voltage is normal.
      c.  If a certain voltage signal was not detected, or the detected voltage value over the normal will issue a "DuDu" long buzzer. If the corresponding voltage value or PC flicker too, then the pwoer has failed.

Specifications

Voltage source: 2-/24 pin (ATX connector)
      Voltage test: +12v, -12v  +5v/-5v +3v/-3v 5v standby(SB) 12v power GOOD(PG)
      Connectors; Floppy, HDD, CDROM, SATA, 4pin(P4), 8pin(Dual-CPU) 6pin(PCI Express)

Package Content
      Power Supply Tester

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 12:37:37 AM »
      Did you disconnect all the other power sockets like cd rom and harddrive.

Plug the 4 pin motherboard and the 24 pin motherboard connections into the tester and see if the power supply starts and you get all voltages as green.

Then reconnect the 4 pin motherboard connector and test again. if the power supply doesn't start then you have a motherboard problem so a picture of the CPU area of the motherboard would be great. Also check all the usb ports for damage if there is no  insert supporting the pins then the socket is broken

Keep connecting devices and testing until the power supply tester shows a failure.

If you find that the hard drive is stopping the power supply then let us know as it's probable a Seagate and could be fixed. 
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

trixlette

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
        I did disconnect all the other power sockets, including the hdd. Below is a pic of the mobo, the cpu area, and then the test results of the 4pin.

The first very blurry tester pic, was from trying to catch it as soon as I connected it, because it did it fast, as you can see this is what it should look like, if all is well.  But the next pic is what it looked like after the lights went out. just the one on the +5vsb.  Everything I connected did NOT light up.

Ok i took a power supply unit that is good, and hooked it up to the tester.  All the lights on the left went on, and as I hooked up each thing separately the right lights went on, showing it was getting proper voltage.

I know this may sound stupid, but here goes, lol, I said I am not that tech savvy, but  could I possibly hook up the GOOD power supply, and then use the 4,6,8 pin, molex etc from the other one, just to ascertain that current is going thru properly on them?  I guess I won't know unless I ask, huh?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »
        Thanks for the pictures. just to confirm you have disconnected the power plugs from everything in the computer ?
        Then connected the right 24 pin motherboard connector to the tester and you only get the 5v sb light up no other lights . If so then the power supply is faulty.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

trixlette

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 10:50:16 PM »
          Yes I disconnected the power plugs from everything.  Thank you so much for your help it was greatly appreciated!!!!