Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 8.1 upgrade smooth until logon surprise  (Read 2685 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Win 8.1 upgrade smooth until logon surprise
« on: November 07, 2013, 02:47:55 AM »
So I got bit by this Windows 8.1 trap linked below. And realized it after a reboot when my original password didnt work. Said some choice words when I realized what Microsoft did. Now undoing the Windows Live Logon. I tried to skip this step in the 8.1 upgrade from 8.0 on the new laptop and should have researched this first. But at least there is a way to undo this after getting tricked into this local to Live credential swap.

I am really struggling to not just say screw it and blow Windows 8 away and install 7. Forcing myself to stick with 8 on this brand new laptop. But crap like this just really ticks me off.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-change-to-a-local-account-in-windows-81/

On top of this the new ASUS laptop came with McAfee bundled on it which was the first thing to get uninstalled immediately, then went to install Microsoft Security Essentials on Win 8 and SORRY, you cant install to Windows 8, you need to go with Windows Defender instead  ::) Frustrating!  :-X

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Win 8.1 upgrade smooth until logon surprise
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 02:58:33 AM »
So I got bit by this Windows 8.1 trap linked below. And realized it after a reboot when my original password didnt work.
I haven't had this problem. My MS Account password is about a thousand times more secure than any password I use locally anyway. And I need to use it to sign into Visual Studio (for Preview release feedback stuff) as well as the Developer Account and a few other things, So I just used my already existent Hotmail login information when I first installed Windows 8.

then went to install Microsoft Security Essentials on Win 8 and SORRY, you cant install to Windows 8, you need to go with Windows Defender instead  ::) Frustrating!  :-X
Windows Defender on Windows 8 is a relabelled and updated Security Essentials.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.