Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PSU Suggestions? EVGA GeForce GTX 260 core 216 Superclocked 896MB  (Read 3841 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
So I made a deal with my youngest brother to buy his EVGA GeForce GTX 260 core 216 Superclocked for $40 that still works like new and clean of dust etc and is far more powerful than the ASUS ATI Radeon HD 5450 with passive heatsink I have been currently using for gaming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130400 Video Card Link

Only problem is that the power supply I have which I thought had the 6pin molex connectors, it does not have them, so I have to buy a power supply that can drive this video card and looking for suggestions on a quality power supply that also isnt expensive.

This card states that a 500 watt minimum power supply is required, and I have been looking at a few different ones that are $50 or less, however I dont want to buy one that lasts for 6 months and then becomes problematic, so maybe I should spend more.

The case this is going into is a mATX, and I ended up cutting a piece of cardboard to the length of the video card and fitting it into the case with the side cover off and I have about just barely 1 inch of clearance to the hard drives, so it will be a tight fit, but will fit in the mATX minitower case.

I found these power supplies, but the feedback shows that these can be a problem:

*I have had thermaltake before and so I might go with the 600watt that is the first link below with least upset people vs the Raidmax of the other 2 links. I'm open for suggestions if there is a better supply for long life use that is 500watts or larger that can drive this video card with 2 x 6-pin molex.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153166    18% reporting 3 eggs or less of 5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028    26% reporting 3 eggs or less of 5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152040    37% reporting 3 eggs or less of 5

Below is benchmark info just on the GPU's and this $40 purchase shows that it should be far better than the cheap Radeon HD5450 with passive heatsink. My brother claims that many games can run at max settings with this video card, although any brand new games might have to be set to a lower setting for fast frame rates. He spent crazy money on an upgrade to this card for bragging rights in his $2500 system. Way more money than I'd spend, but its great to have a source of good used and bargain priced high end parts to purchase when he goes through the need for speed and bragging rights upgrades.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+5450

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+260

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Re: PSU Suggestions? EVGA GeForce GTX 260 core 216 Superclocked 896MB
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:40:35 PM »
I wouldn't trust any of those, they all look to be pretty terrible, low end units.  A clear sign of their low quality can be seen by the fact that they have the red switch to change between different mains voltages, all PSUs that are actually worthwhile nowadays will do this switching automatically so having a switch is a sure sign that the PSU is low end.  That and the fact that both Thermaltake and Raidmax are pretty low end, budget brands to begin with.

This is the minimum I would get when buying a PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013 (Really good unit, especially for the price)

It makes sense to get a good PSU as it's the one part that should never really need upgraded, get a good one now and it should last you for many years (probably outlast the rest of your system).

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 03:34:33 PM »
A clear sign of their low quality can be seen by the fact that they have the red switch to change between different mains voltages, all PSUs that are actually worthwhile nowadays will do this switching automatically so having a switch is a sure sign that the PSU is low end.

Interesting... never knew this!  :)

It makes sense to get a good PSU as it's the one part that should never really need upgraded, get a good one now and it should last you for many years (probably outlast the rest of your system).

I totally agree with this statement. I have seen power supplies damage components and whole systems before which should never happen with proper design and quality parts, and the damage was not due to lightning strike or a surge.... it was due to catastrophic failure of poorly designed or cheap low quality parts composing the PSU.

I was surprised that Thermaltake was not as good of a PSU unit though as for I have heard others praise the brand for low price and last forever with no problems. Raidmax I never deal with to know whether good or junk, however the feedback says it all in the percentages of 3 eggs or less etc that it can be hit or miss with one that is good or bad.

This is the minimum I would get when buying a PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013 (Really good unit, especially for the price)

Thanks for suggesting this power supply. I have had XFX video cards before without problems, so their power supply line should be good too. I didnt see this one when searching and its just $15 above the $50 I was planning on spending, but there is also a rebate so I might get $10 back if the rebate actually pays up as I have had like 50% track record of actually seeing prepaid cards or checks for the money on rebates. Rebates should all be instant vs a game in the mail and the company that honors them deciding not to pay up.   :P

Going to buy this XFX PSU... Thanks for the suggestion!!!  8)

BTW: I bought a cheap barebone from this JDR Computer company back in 2000 for like $129.99 a Celeron 700Mhz build and the no name PSU became a fog machine of white smoke on a reboot during Windows 98 SE install. Nothing like a hissing noise and POP and thick white smoke that smells like rotten fish bellowing out of the rear of the computer tower which made the computer room stink for a week ... LOL  That was the last time I went with no name brand PSU units http://www.jdr.com/ ... I also havent bought anything else from this company after the bad experience. I bought from them blindly on a Google hit for a cheap barebone build. After putting in a PSU unit from an old Pentium II system it powered up and the rest of the hardware behaved for the short while that I owned it until I realize that I really needed a Pentium III vs a Celeron.  ;D ... But even though I havent bought through JDR since, I also want to state that this company was great with my failed power supply claim. They shipped me another exact same brand/model PSU unit without having to return the one that was soaked in electrolyte oil. I chose to remain running on the older Pentium II PSU unit instead which I think was Delta brand and I think I ended up giving the new replacement no name PSU which might have been Golden Power brand to a friend who was building up a system and needed free and cheap parts. So not to bash JDR, since they were great with the replacement PSU, but you get what you pay for!!!  ;)   They did have better quality products available for more money and I guess I set myself up for problems by going cheap!!!  :P

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »
I disagree with the statement the lack of the voltage switch indicates a better quality PSU unit...very broad generalisation that's simply not true...
I just spent 150 Bucks on a high end server PSU and it has the switch...does that mean it's junk ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 06:44:24 AM »
have had XFX video cards before without problems, so their power supply line should be good too.

XFX PSUs are made by Seasonic so are really good units (Especially for the price).

I disagree with the statement the lack of the voltage switch indicates a better quality PSU unit...very broad generalisation that's simply not true...
I just spent 150 Bucks on a high end server PSU and it has the switch...does that mean it's junk ? ?

While it's not always the case such as in older or certain special PSUs (like your server one) - Any modern desktop PSU will be able to switch voltages automatically.

Lack of switch doesn't indicate it being high quality but a fairly low priced PSU combined with lack of automatic voltage switching indicates it being a fairly low end unit.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 02:13:26 PM »
...Lack of switch doesn't indicate it being high quality but a fairly low priced PSU combined with lack of automatic voltage switching indicates it being a fairly low end unit...
Actually, they don't switch voltages, but have a wider input voltage range.
Look at the power adapter for a laptop, the voltage input range is 100-240VAC  & have been so for at least 15 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply

I just got a new Dell desktop & the "cheap" psu blows cold air all the time, even with an add-on PCI-e EVGA Geforce 620.  It's only about 5 deg warmer than the case fan.  Might have something to do with the Core-I3-3.2GHz (see specs).