Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New graphics card upgrade resulted in higher cpu temps, less fps (not playable)  (Read 2727 times)

elite4seth

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    So here is the rundown to the story of my very sad week.

I've been playing FFXIV: ARR on my rig since closed beta, which was sometime over summer, with no problems whatsoever. Recently (this last few weeks), my system had been shutting down while i play, seemingly out of nowhere. So i download some temp monitors for my cpu (i5 2400 @ 3.1GHz) and gpu(NVidia gt430), and see that while my cpu is nice and comfortable at around 20-30 degrees, but gpu had been overheating somewhere in the 90's. I proceed to open my box up and clean out all the dust bunnies, which works for about a week, only to have the problem return.

I then begin my adventure of trying to make my Nvidia GT 430 work again so that i can continue to play my game. My two suspicions were either thermal paste needed reapplication, or my fan was busted. so honestly? i tried the fan first, which had a hair caught in it, but didnt help enough to allow me to play longer than 10 minz. thermal paste failed. So at this point, i've decided it's not even a gaming card, so i may as well reap some cyber monday benefits and buy a new one for cheap.

So i order a ATI,AMD, whatever, HD 7750 core edition for 100$, it arrives and i'm super excited. I delete all my nvidia drivers, swap the card, install new drivers, and before i even start the game i notice that my CPU is now idling between 65-75 degrees. im confused, but try the game anyways, only to find that my performance was far better on my old gt430.

My Cpu sometimes gets as high as 95 degrees since ive installed this graphics card and although the card itself stays very cool, it doesnt matter because my cpu is panting just to stay on it seems.

Please help me, i feel like i've tried everything, driver sweeper re-install, searching and searching has only brought me here to ask you guys.

cengbrecht

Beginner

• Yes
      • Memory Express
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    i tried the fan first, which had a hair caught in it, but didnt help enough to allow me to play longer than 10 minz. thermal paste failed. So at this point, i've decided it's not even a gaming card, so i may as well reap some cyber monday benefits and buy a new one for cheap.

So i order a ATI,AMD, whatever, HD 7750 core edition for 100$, it arrives and i'm super excited. I delete all my nvidia drivers, swap the card, install new drivers, and before i even start the game i notice that my CPU is now idling between 65-75 degrees. im confused, but try the game anyways, only to find that my performance was far better on my old gt430.

My Cpu sometimes gets as high as 95 degrees since ive installed this graphics card and although the card itself stays very cool, it doesnt matter because my cpu is panting just to stay on it seems.

From what I can see, I would say you need to make sure that you fully clean off your Cooler(the part that contacts the CPU), and the CPU itself, make sure there is no paste left. Then apply brand new Arctic Silver, or your favourite brand. Make sure that the CPU coolers mounting points are all properly fastened, then start the computer and go to the BIOS, and watch if the temperature goes up. If it is, there may be something wrong with the fan. Most Aftermarket coolers feature standard fans, however stock coolers do not. (Replacement is dependant.)

If your CPU stays stable around 25-40* you should be ok, however If it rises in the BIOS, you may need a new cooler.
    E=mc˛ -- Who knows if this applies, but hey everyone will think I am smart now!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    You are missing the whole point...why would his CPU temps all of a sudden spike that way after only adding a new vid card ? ?
    Although your suggestions are sound they don't address the issue behind that.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "