Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 9705 times)

tkoch96

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Help Please
    « on: December 30, 2013, 04:19:47 PM »
    Hello I have an HP ENVY m6 sleekbook with AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.1 GHz processor, 1 TB hard drive, Radeon H, 6 GB ram, windows 8 64 bit operating system

While using this laptop, I sometimes have problems with the disk going to 100% usage in the task manager. When it hits 100, the mouse will respond but the screen freezes. When looking in task manager at exactly what is using up all the disk is simply "system" so im assuming my computer is doing something that i dont want it to do.

While this freeze happens im usually running a semi-demanding java game with youtube splitscreened. The cpu is around 45-50% and the memory is around 30-40%. The disk is NORMALLY at 0-6% but these random spikes drive it to 100% and I have to turn off the computer.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Help Please
    « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 05:55:23 AM »
    Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

Let's start by checking for malware. Please run full system scans with BOTH your anti virus app AND with MalwareBytes.

Second, is this a new issue or has your system always done this? If the former, what is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

tkoch96

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 06:50:54 AM »
      The virus scan turned up negative, and this is a fairly new laptop so this problem is new and has only happened 2 or 3 times, about a week between instances.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 07:07:15 AM »
      You couldn't possibly have run two full scans this quickly.

If it has only happened twice and is not a consistent problem it is very difficult to diagnose. The only thing I can suggest is to note what you are running when the problem happens and what programs / processes are running at the time. If, on the other hand, you can "force" the problem to recur, please post how.

tkoch96

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 08:06:29 AM »
        The problem just happened, I was running a game and a chrome tab and the computer froze, I turn it back on and it says the system is using 100% along with Catalyst Control Center.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 08:07:26 AM »
        So it happened just once?

tkoch96

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »
          This is the 4th episode, basically my computer froze (the disk was already at 100% probably but I couldn't check it because it was frozen) so I shut the computer off, turned it back on and the disk spiked back up to 100% and then went back down to 0 displaying all the disk being used by system and catalyst control  center

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »
          How old is this computer?
          It is starting to sound like a case of defective merchandise.
          Take it back to the store.

In some regions a 90 day warranty is in effect. This is in addition to a one year warranty from the manufacture. So the vendor has to ether refund or replace. Repair is not an option.

Also, some stores honor this even whee it is not the state or province law.
          So, talk to the store where it was bought. Bring the paperwork.

tkoch96

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 07:33:26 AM »
            I bought it from Best Buy, which has a 30 day standard warranty, about 3 months ago. I did not buy any extended warranty and I do not have any paperwork so returning it is out of the question

tkoch96

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 07:42:05 AM »
              I just realized that at any time, the disk will usually jump when I open the task manager (probably because I'm opening the task manager). This is not the only time it jumps, it jumps while running the above stated applications too.

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 07:46:52 AM »
              First of all, it's not the "disk" that's spiking - it's the cpu.

Second, are you always doing the same thing when it happens?

Third, please do as I asked above and run a full scan with MalwareBytes. You did not do it the first time.

And last, please go to the website of your laptop manufacturer and download and install the latest chipset driver and display adapter (video) driver.

tkoch96

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 08:39:04 AM »
                When I open task manager it shows 3 columns: cpu memory and disk; the disk column is at 100% when my laptop freezes

This morning I downloaded AVG anti-virus and ran a full scan which turned up negative.

I am always doing the same thing when this problem occurs.

Additionally, I went to my manufacturers website and checked to see that I had the latest drivers which I do.

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »
                1) Sorry, I forgot the Win 8 Task Manager has a Disc column. Increase your virtual memory: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-8-keeps-slows-down-to-100-disk-usage-and/cd787f8d-e7b4-4872-aecb-6f0cd15ad942

2) I didn't ask you to run a scan with AVG, I asked you to run a scan with MalwareBytes.

tkoch96

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 09:03:02 AM »
                  I allocated more memory to system (which was taking up the most disk usage) and I will see if this solves my issue; if it doesn't i will be back with a scanned computer by malware bytes.

Thanks for your time :)

Allan

• Mastermind
                  « Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 10:01:15 AM »
                  I suggested you increase the size of the pagefile. But you're determined to do things you own way, so that's fine.