Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Free Cloud Backup. Doe it really work?  (Read 2621 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Free Cloud Backup. Doe it really work?
« on: February 09, 2014, 12:00:47 AM »
Free Cloud Backup. Doe it really work?
Do you like the idea of doing backups over the internet?
What about speed?
Is it free, really free?
Has anybody see this article?
How to score 50GB of free cloud storage from Box -CNET
Save 50GB free?
Is the real?  8)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Free Cloud Backup. Doe it really work?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 02:05:10 AM »
Sure it's real, been around for a few years now.  As far as speed goes, it's pretty much dependent on your connection speed of course.
I back up online with Crashplan and have done for over a year, not free but better suited for backups than Box, Dropbox, etc.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 07:29:47 AM »
I've been doing cloud backups for quite a while as I've been writing the below document for Computer Hope. I've had success with all of the online backups I've used, so far I've mainly just been focusing on paid subscriptions since they seem to offer all of the options I think most people would need including software that makes the process automatic, just like Calum mentioned earlier. Dropbox is also a great cloud storage, and I use them a lot also, but they don't really have any software that makes the process automatic and thoughtless. Although you can setup scripts and there other third-party tools to make it easier to backup.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chbackup.htm

One of the big concerns obviously with cloud storage/backup is security. You're posting information into the cloud where technically anyone could access the data. From what I've read though all of the paid services have great security, but that doesn't mean it's impossible for them to get hacked, just very unlikely.

Also, from what I last heard information that is in the cloud is not considered personal by most governments so a government could make a request to access your information and get access to the information much easier than they could if they had to get a warrant to seize your computer.

Finally, in the case of Megaupload, all of their servers were seized by the government and all information was lost. So, there is of course the chance that a service could be stopped and all information stored on their servers lost. Of course if you were just using it for a backup you should technically have all the information still, but if your computer died at the same time, and it was your only backup then you would be out of luck.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »
I'm using ADrive 

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »
I used to use Adrive, maybe 4 or 5 years ago, it used to be pretty good.  Can't recall why I stopped using it actually, I forgot it was still around!