Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replaced psu, worked. Put oc back together, didn't work.  (Read 3488 times)

Veyintear

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Replaced psu, worked. Put oc back together, didn't work.
    « on: February 20, 2014, 06:48:49 PM »
    So my psu blew out today, loud bang, smelled like burned something, no smoke, or visible signs of burning. Removed the psu(Solid Gear ATX SDGR-500),  luckily had an old pc with a 500w power supply(Okia 500w) . Removed it with no issues. Put it in my pc, only had one sata cord, so I didn't plug in the disk drive as I don't use that anyway. Plugged it in, hit the power button on my pc, booted it up, worked fine, shut it down. Had some old files on the old pc, thought I could access them. So I plugged up two moxels to the older hard drives. Turned it on, worked fine, however the hard drives didn't show up. So I shut it down, unplugged the sata cord from my hard drive, turned it on, it booted to a screen asking for a correct boot device. Turned it off, unplugged the moxels from the old hard drives, put it back together, forgot to plug the sata cord back in, removed side panel, plugged it in, put the panel back on. Hit the power button, and it didn't turn on. Took it apart, checked all the cords, everything was plugged in, tried to boot it again, still didn't turn on. Unplugged, and re-plugged in the pwer supply multiple times, checked all the cords multiple times, still won't turn on. Extremely confused as to why it won't turn on now. Any ideas?

http://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-Gamer-Ultra-GUA880-Desktop/dp/B0089KDCIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392949898&sr=8-1&keywords=gaming+computer
    ^That computer model, as purchased.
    « Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:15:57 PM by Veyintear »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Replaced psu, worked. Put oc back together, didn't work.
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:19:48 PM »
    1.  What are moxels?
    2.  What do you mean "I didn't plug in the disk drive as I don't use that anyway".
    3.  Something is causing your PSU's to overload, maybe the "moxels"?

Veyintear

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »
      Moxels, at least to my knowledge, are the four pronged cords that attach to certain part from the power supply. Four in a line, not to be confused with a 4-pin, which is two x two. As the older power supply did not have a second sata cord, I figured it wouldn't matter, and used the only sata cord to plug into my hard drive. The disk drive remained unplugged. It's possible, but I assume the original supply overheated and blew out. The second on however, worked, and didn't make a loud noise, or smell like smoke. Just wouldn't turn on anymore. Not even sure if the power supply is the issue anymore. Thanks for the speedy response, and idea.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:48:34 PM »
      Molex's...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Veyintear

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »
        Oh, my bad. Molex is the correct term. Thanks for correction.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 02:19:11 AM »
        Hi

interesting way to go about finding why your original power supply blew up. Find a used supply and test the computer with that .   Don't say why the original supply blew up . Without knowing that the second supply could have failed due to the same cause,  and you haven't said what part of the supply failed and what tests you did to isolate that the fault was just the power supply. Before replacing the power supply a technician would visually check and if necessary  check what parts of the supply had failed.
        And from that decide where next to check for possible other damage or or faulty components. Only after that would you fit a NEW power supply.

I think you are assuming that when a power supply or part of a computer fails the damage will always be isolated to that part. That might be the case in 80% or so but there is always the chance that other damage has occurred. You need to start testing each component perhaps using your old computer starting with the power supply you borrowed then your drives and lastly the motherboard with a new power supply 
        You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

Veyintear

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »
          Yes, I made mistakes. I am indeed not a technician, yesterday was my first day inside a computer. Although I read it could be pretty dangerous opening PSU's, so I didn't do that. Not sure how to check exactly what was wrong with the PSU, could you walk me through the steps if you know how, please?
          And no, I didn't assume that it was contained damaged. I was actually worried it might have damaged my hard drive. Graphics card is not very good, not bad either, so I wasn't worried if it got damaged, as I want to replace it anyway. But, when I initially placed the older power supply in, everything worked. All the fans and LED's, booted up fine, files were okay. So then, I did assume that none of the components were damaged by the original power supply. The older power supply however, did not cause the computer to turn off suddenly, or make a loud noise. So if it failed, I am unaware. Also unaware how to test this. I apologize for my unfamiliarity with this subject. Thanks for the input though! :)

Side note: If the other psu is now broken. I do not have any others, and would have to wait to get a new one.