Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stereo mix refusing to cooperate!  (Read 4803 times)

Moonrash

Stereo mix refusing to cooperate!
« on: March 20, 2014, 02:09:23 AM »
I want to be able to watch videos in a skype call and have the other person hear the audio. I noticed that my computer didn't have stereo mix, so I installed the latest Realtek audio driver from the Asus website.

So now I have stereo mix, but I absolutely cannot get it to work. The ONLY way it works, is if I unplug my headphones, which doesn't work for me. I need to use those. But, it DOES work when I do that. I have USB headphones so I'm not using the headphone jacks. I saw a fix regarding the headphone jacks but obviously that didn't work for me. Even though I just downloaded it, I uninstalled the audio driver then reinstalled - still won't work.

The green bar beside the stereo mix icon just doesn't go up and down. Nothing is muted, levels are raised. I know all of my settings are correct, in theory, because of it working when I unplug my headphones.

Help!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Stereo mix refusing to cooperate!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 09:19:37 AM »
You need to know that programs like Skype change behavior when the headphones  in. This is by design. With headphones in the software runs the thing ia a special half duplex mode. In other words, it is not the same as a telephone conversation.In   half duplex you are not supposed to have background music or noise of kids talking.

The solution is to
- not use headphones.
Or
-  not use a laptop.
 Desktops can have more sound options.

Sorry I don't have a better answer. Full duplex conversion is only available on a regular land-line telephone.

Some programs other than Skype will let both users wear headphones and enjoy ** full duplex. That is the only way to enjoy  background sounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_%28telecommunications%29
A duplex communication system is a point-to-point system composed of two connected parties or devices that can communicate with one another in both directions, simultaneously. An example of a duplex device is a telephone. The people at both ends of a telephone call can speak at the same time and simultaneously each be heard by the other at the same time

Moonrash

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 01:00:33 PM »
You need to know that programs like Skype change behavior when the headphones  in. This is by design. With headphones in the software runs the thing ia a special half duplex mode. In other words, it is not the same as a telephone conversation.In   half duplex you are not supposed to have background music or noise of kids talking.

The solution is to
- not use headphones.
Or
-  not use a laptop.
 Desktops can have more sound options.

Sorry I don't have a better answer. Full duplex conversion is only available on a regular land-line telephone.

Some programs other than Skype will let both users wear headphones and enjoy ** full duplex. That is the only way to enjoy  background sounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_%28telecommunications%29

Alright. I am on a desktop computer. And my skype buddy is on his desktop computer, and he was able to let me hear his audio. It did mute his voice but that's fine. His pc is brand new, so he didn't have anything special installed, just Realtek audio drivers like me. I googled my problem for a couple hours last night and plenty of people got this to work, but my stereo mix is just not working for me :/

Moonrash

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 04:27:31 PM »
I think my issue is that I have a USB headset. It DOES have headphone and mic jacks, but the reason I bought a USB headset was because the jacks don't work on my pc, for whatever reason. It's a custom made pc and I asked the guy who made it, but we couldn't figure out what was wrong. He had a mic that worked, but mine simply wouldn't (although it did work on my laptop, so the headset was fine)....

So I NEED the USB headset. I suppose my skype buddies worked because he has a headset with the jacks, not a USB headset?

Stereo mix works just fine for me, IF I unplug my headset and just play through my speakers. But that doesn't work for me, because I have a roommate, and I don't like listening through my speakers if I'm right in front of my computer. At least, it LOOKS like it works fine, although the volume levels aren't normal, they only go up about 2 bars, in accordance with my speaker volume?