Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 won't let me open programs, keeps freezing.  (Read 4456 times)

Aartemisia

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows 7 won't let me open programs, keeps freezing.
    « on: March 24, 2014, 02:53:50 AM »
    Hello, I've recently started having problems with my Asus U46E laptop running Windows 7 home edition Premium. Windows 7 itself will load, albeit SLOWLY, but when I go to click on a program such as firefox, it won't open it, and if I try to open Task Manager, my whole computer will go to "not responding." I started having this problem yesterday, yet I haven't installed any new programs for a long time. I did have a windows update right before I got the problem It works fine in Safe Mode (hence why I can be here). 

The biggest problem I am having here is that unfortunately, I am currently abroad and will be abroad for the next 6 months. I don't know if I'd be able to afford a new laptop here, or if the one I buy here will work in the US. I'd really like to avoid buying a new one as much as possible, but I don't have the windows 7 cd with me. 

Things I have tried:
    >TroubleShooting in Safe Mode. when I did this it said something called SuperFetch wasn't running? I am unable to start it in Safe mode and it won't open in Normal mode.

>System recovery. The first time I did this, it worked fine and I was able to use my computer again normally. However, as soon as I shut it down for the night and started it up this morning, I began having the same problem.

>Malbytes Malware scan. I have done this a couple times now, the first time coming back with a trojan virus, second time with a few system errors. I erased all of them, but the problem still persisted, so I tried a second system recovery, seeing as it worked the last time. Needless to say, it didn't work, so I started it in safe mode and ran a third Malbytes Malware Scan, which came back with 6 "malicious" files which I deleted. I also attached the log from this last scan. This last scan came back with no hint of the Trojan Virus.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows 7 won't let me open programs, keeps freezing.
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:23:56 AM »
    Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

I'm locking this thread.