Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Almost a Month and the World Has Not Ended  (Read 3729 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Almost a Month and the World Has Not Ended
    « on: May 04, 2014, 02:02:30 AM »
    Anyone hear any reports about bad things happening with XP? I am glad I invested in my Win 7 upgrade, but clearly I was unduly concerned about XP security problems, especially those that would happen soon after 4/8.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Almost a Month and the World Has Not Ended
    « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 03:02:28 AM »
    Anyone hear any reports about bad things happening with XP? I am glad I invested in my Win 7 upgrade, but clearly I was unduly concerned about XP security problems, especially those that would happen soon after 4/8.

The doomsaying was exaggerative.

While it's true (as I've said) that the dropping of support means free exploits for every round of patches for Vista/7/8, The reality is more that those exploits aren't needed. The most useful are privilege escalation exploits and the fact is that those are redundant on XP since XP runs everything with full permissions. So while MS provides free exploits with every patch to Vista and 7 it's possible that malware authors simply don't need it- at this stage XP was already an open book when it came to trojans which are the most common entry wound.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
      • Yes
      • The Doctor
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Almost a Month and the World Has Not Ended
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:34:03 PM »
    All my own XP PC's have been running with Updates turned OFF for over two years.
    I got tired of the funky updates disabling my PC's.

After turning off the MS Updates, I've had NO MORE problems with Windows XP.  It just runs great, day after day, without ever a whimper.   I DO keep all my Security Software up to date at least weekly.
    AVG runs a daily update and scan.

8)
    Experience is truly the best teacher.
    Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!