Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 8.1 locked me out of my computer  (Read 10272 times)

Carmen

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows 8.1 locked me out of my computer
    « on: May 09, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »
    I need some help, please.  My computer came with Windows 8 installed.   For the past several months, it has been trying to get me to update to Windows 8.1.  I declined the update....did not want to have to relearn a new system. 

On Monday, my computer automatically updated to Windows 8.1.  After the update, I was prompted to set up an outlook email account.  After being asked tons of personal information, I aborted set up of the email, closed my computer for the night, and went to bed. 

Upon login Tuesday morning, my "new" (unwanted) outlook email was listed as my computer login.  I typed in the password that I created, and it failed to login.  My old login is completely gone.  I am now completed locked out of my computer. 

I have contacted Microsoft via email, live chat, remote login, phone, etc.  They told me that I don't have enough information about my email account to reset the password.  No kidding!  The account was never even fully set up, and it was only hours old before the problem. They want proof of emails sent, folders set up.....I never even used the email.  This information is impossible to provide. 

Does anybody know how I can go around the lock screen, or restore my system to Windows 8 without losing my files, photos, etc.??? 

I am so frustrated with the lack of support at Microsoft.  They say this is for security.  Can't someone use common sense and realize the acct. is brand new?!?!?

Thanks for any help.  This is my primary computer with all of my children's schoolwork, and my work documents. 

Carmen

P.S. It is a Toshiba Satellite Laptop. 

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 8.1 locked me out of my computer
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »
    Just found this one that was never addressed from 5/9, and decided to answer just in case Carmen needs help still.

This computer should probably be brought to a computer shop to be serviced. Windows 8 and 8.1 make it difficult to recover files.

Also as far as the 8.1 upgrade, I had a laptop with 8 that I upgraded to 8.1 and almost fell into the same trap as you with geting locked out, but I wrote everything down as I was doing it so that if something went wrong I'd have the info written down. I was able to go in and undo the Windows Live Account default of 8.1 upgrade, but it was not easy.

For the fact that you are completely locked out of your system and you probably do not have system recovery disc's or thumb drive media, it means that an advanced computer knowledge individual will need to visit this system. One way to gain access to the data is to boot the system off of Linux Disc, BUT due to UEFI, UEFI blocks OS other than Windows 8 or 8.1 from running on systems if set a certain usually default way. More info on UEFI here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

My laptop has the UEFI configured in such a way that if the Windows 8 or 8.1 ever had gotten corrupted, I would never have been able to gain access to the BIOS to make changes. I had to disable UEFI in the operating system to give the BIOS controls back to me in order to run an other than Windows 8 or 8.1 OS.

Is this computer still covered by a warranty?