Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 8 crashing randomly?  (Read 5043 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Windows 8 crashing randomly?
    « on: September 23, 2014, 08:05:51 PM »
    So I've begun to notice a problem with my laptop. Not sure what's causing it. Let's say I go to make a meal or take a shower. I've been finding that if I do so, I might come back and Windows has crashed. The only way to fix it is to literally hold my power button and reboot that way. I hate to have to do that but there is no way to get my laptop working again unless I do so.

I'm running W8 64 bit w/ 8 gigs ram. Intel i7 3632QM @ 2.20GHz.GeForce GT 650M.

When this happens, I tend to have Skype, Steam, and my browser (Firefox) running. Which is pretty typical throughout the day. I'm wondering if it's steam because before it has happened when I left steam as the main window and left, especially if my laptop went to sleep. But it'll do it even if Firefox is the main window so I'm not really sure. Wondering if it's connected to my FPS issues I've been having with GTA: San Andreas. But that's another topic.
    « Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:29:56 PM by WillNeedsHelpFast »
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Windows 8 crashing randomly?
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »
    Use Task Manager to monitor processes running; it may give you a clue about what program/app is causing the problem.

Also, do you have any malware protection apps (Malwarebytes Antimalware, SUPERAntiSpyware, etc.) installed?  And, what about antivirus software?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows 8 crashing randomly?
    « Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »
    Does this only occur if you leave the computer? And what do you mean when you say it Crashes- do you mean it Blue Screens?

If so, it is almost certainly a driver problem. And since it only occurs after leaving it for a while, it may be (and I am somewhat guessing here) that the laptops power-saving features such as sleep are activating and a driver for one of your devices doesn't like it. You mnight have picked up a new driver via Windows Update or something.

If they are blue screens, however, you can use something like BlueScreenView to see them. If you aren't receiving blue screens it would help if you detail what you mean when you say it is crashing.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.