Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display full screen video players on a TV via HDMI  (Read 4189 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Display full screen video players on a TV via HDMI
    « on: November 20, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »
    Righto. So here's what I have set up. I have my laptop connected to my TV in an extended mode.

What I'm trying to do is make it so that I can watch Twitch Streams, YouTube videos and basically various forms of video media using different types of players but do this all full screen on my TV. While at the same time being able to use my laptop regularly so that I can work on homework and what not.

The problem? Well, whenever I full screen a video, regardless of full screening it on either display, it always full screens the video on my laptop and I can't move the full screen over to the TV display (or at least I don't know how because trying to drag it over doesn't work).

I've tried setting my TV as my "main display". But that hasn't helped. Any suggestions?

Edit: Update. Found a pseudo change. What I noticed that when I right clicked on the video, the menu appeared on the laptop and not on my TV. So I created a brand new tab and before I loaded that page containing the video, I moved it over. Then I loaded the video and it full screens there.

But now theres a new problem. Now because it's full screened there, it won't let me use my desktop because if I click on my laptop display, it minimizes the full screen display. Thus eliminating the point of the setup. Any ideas?
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Display full screen video players on a TV via HDMI
    « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:54:43 PM »
    Sorry I don't  have the quick and easy answer. Part of the issues is screen resolution. Video streams vary in resolution and frame rate.
    A work around is to use another device t o stream to the TV set.
    - A wireless HDMI to TV interface, like chrome cast or one of the others:
    http://www.tescotechsupport.com/feature/5-awesome-alternatives-to-google-chromecast/
    Or a MP4 player to feed direct to your TV analog input.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:45:17 AM »
      I found a solution to the problem.

What I found was that I needed to combine 2 of my tested solutions together to get the solution.

First, I made sure that the page containing the player of the video I wanted to watch loaded on the TV, it would load the player to that screen. So full screening would do so there. But if I clicked away from it it would close the full screen.

So the next step. I had to set my TV as the main display. Couldn't find another way around that.

As long as I do it like that, so far each player I've tried has works. It's a bit unfortunate because it causes new applications/links to load onto my TV. But for most cases I can just simply move them over to the right screen.

Follow up question though: My laptop only has 1 HDMI port and I kinda wanted to throw my desktop's monitor into the mix so I could use that as well. Any suggestions? Isn't there another cable I have to use?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 10:09:04 AM »
      Glad you got it to wok and thanks for sharing.  :)

HDMI is the better choice, but you can have good quality even over oldert types of interface. But for older TV  sets HDMI is not an option.
      Most laptops support only two monitors and one has to be the internal display.
      For desktop PCs, four and even five display are possible.

A common use fort a second display with a laptop is for a presentation before a large audience. A portable laptop with  a powerful projector and screen give performance like a small theater. You just have to provide the popcorn.

The link below is a good reference.
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors
       8)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »
        I wondered. I just have this other port here. Looks like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/SVGA_port.jpg

Except it doesn't have the parts on either side. It's just that center port. Wondered if that would be usable to set up. I'm fine with this Laptop-TV setup if I cant though, just being greedy =D