Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to update my bios?  (Read 4156 times)

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

How to update my bios?
    « on: December 26, 2014, 10:48:16 PM »
    Hello my motherboard is

Manufacturer   Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    Model   F2A88X-D3H (P0)
    Version   To be filled by O.E.M.
    Chipset Vendor   AMD
    Chipset Model   A55/A60M FCH
    Chipset Revision   00
    Southbridge Vendor   AMD
    Southbridge Model   A55/A60M
    Southbridge Revision   11

I am very worried that I will screw something regarding the bios up trying to update them and
    was wondering what the best way to update them would be. I heard that is recommended that I
    DO NOT use the the tool given to me on the computer but rather to put the bios installer thing
    on a flash drive and install it that way. If you could please point me in the right direction
    on updating bios for my motherboard without messing up that would be great!

Wefro_froyas

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: How to update my bios?
      « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 12:27:40 AM »
      let me also mention that I am updating so i can upgrade my
      cpu to a AMD Athlon X4 860K
      and that my current
      APU is a amd a10 6800k

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 06:49:42 AM »
      As far as flashing BIOS's, I just use the utility and ROM file provided from the manufacturer. I have flashed many modern boards without issues. Just make sure you have the correct flash from the manufacturer and are not getting the flash off of a 3rd party site as for in some situations a bad BIOS flash can brick the board.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
      I heard that is recommended that I
      DO NOT use the the tool given to me on the computer but rather to put the bios installer thing
      on a flash drive and install it that way. If you could please point me in the right direction
      on updating bios for my motherboard without messing up that would be great!

100% this, do not update the BIOS in Windows.
      All you'll need to do is download the correct BIOS file from The Gigabyte website, place it on a flash drive, reboot the system with the flash drive inserted, enter the BIOS, press the key to enter Q-Flash (believe it's F8 without checking) and follow the instructions.
      Most boards these days have a backup BIOS chip anyway so the risk of anything going wrong is minimal.

Download page - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4714#bios (download the latest revision obviously)
      The file you need to place on the USB drive is named 2A88XD3H.F5
      Direct link to Gigabyte's own instructions on using Q-Flash - http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/images/utiltiy_qflash_uefi.pdf

As mentioned in there, it's generally considered good practice to enter the BIOS after rebooting after the flash, and load optimised defaults, save and exit, then enter the BIOS again to reconfigure any settings you may need to change, but to be honest this isn't usually necessary.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »
      100% this, do not update the BIOS in Windows.
      Hi Calum.  Thought I'd mention that I updated the BIOS in my HP laptop via an HP program called HP Support Assistant; it's installed on all HP laptops/notebooks, as far as I know.  This worked fine.  I did the same on a laptop my son owns and that update also went smoothly.  I don't know whether some of the other manufacturers put such software tools on their systems. 

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 10:14:06 AM »
      Sorry, I should have been clearer, I was only addressing the specific situation here.  There are many exceptions, HP often only provide a way to update the BIOS in Windows.  Most motherboard manufacturers however do provide several methods, usually one through an application in Windows and one accessed from the BIOS or a key pressed during the POST sequence, and in this case I would always recommend to update it using the former method rather than the latter.  If they provide a method to create a bootable disk, that's usually fine too.  We exclusively run HP machines at work and they're a mixture in terms of BIOS updates - most can only be updated from within Windows, some let you create a bootable disk, and one or two have a section in the BIOS to load an update file from a disk.
      I'm not saying updating from within Windows is guaranteed to go wrong, just that it's an additional risk which I would advise anyone to avoid where possible.  I've only had a few BIOS updates go wrong, out of probably thousands.  Some were because we had a power issue as I was performing a flash on several machines but they all recovered from the backup BIOS.  One was on an EVGA board and was down to their bootable flash utility being complete garbage, thankfully that board has three BIOS chips so that wasn't an issue.  The others have also been down to exceptional circumstances.  On the other hand the number of issues I've dealt with from customers flashing their BIOS within Windows is significantly higher.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »
      Interesting!  Thanks.  +1

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »
      ...We exclusively run HP machines at work and they're a mixture in terms of BIOS updates - most can only be updated from within Windows, some let you create a bootable disk, and one or two have a section in the BIOS to load an update file from a disk....Some were because we had a power issue as I was performing a flash on several machines but they all recovered from the backup BIOS....
      My new HP Stream 7 has a backup BIOS.  On one cold boot, it did a BIOS recovery & reinstalled an earlier BIOS from what was installed at the factory.
      i.e. Shipped with F.07, recovered with F.06, reinstalled F.07, updated to F.0A; all within a 2 day period.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »
      I should also clarify that the updates I referred to were not at my current place of employment, so were not HP machines - I evidently disconnected my brain while posting, sorry for the confusion.

Many HP machines do have a backup BIOS which is pretty useful, although in addition to your post about the machine recovering from that for no apparent reason I've had a few Probook 450s die out of the blue with error codes indicating a bad BIOS.  No amount of HP's suggested recovery methods using various key combinations or BIOS files/utilities on bootable flash drives brought them back to life so I assume either both BIOS chips died or the board did, unusual that I've had a few do this as it doesn't seem to be a common issue.  Uneconomical to repair and not in warranty so they got stripped for spares.