Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unusually slow  (Read 14249 times)

Armando

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Unusually slow
    « on: November 07, 2005, 05:33:50 PM »
    After downloading several trojan, anti-virus, spyware, ad-ware, and firewall programs to get rid of whatever problems my computer had, my computer has become unusually slow.

Ever since I installed the programs and ran them, my computer has been running very very slow and several programs aren't working.

My AIM is not working, MSN is not working, internet is VERY slow, and the computer itself is just extremely slow.

I have Windows XP and I downloaded CCleaner, CWShredder, Ad-Aware SE, AVG, Ewido, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Kerio Firewall.

Anyone know what is making it go so slow?

K. Lafferty

Re: Unusually slow
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 05:38:07 PM »
    Just a thought... I heard from a tech guy before that anti-virus software can make any system especially slow if they are continuously running in the background.  Obviously there are huge amounts of viruse definitions it has to scan for and in some cases they check every open program for any sign of intrusion, infection, etc... so needless to say that just uninstalling or completely closing these programs and rebooting the computer may solve the problem... but only remove those programs if you have successfully removed the viruses you were initially trying to remove.  Hope that helps  ;)

Armando

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 07:28:14 PM »
       Well the thing is they aren't actively running. They are not actually open and running.

Unless they are working real time and I don't realize it?

Also, why would that not let some of my programs run?

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 09:58:23 PM »
        Check via Task Manager if any process is eating the CPU.
        Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

Armando

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 10:29:02 PM »
          Well I don't know what is a normal mem usage for certain programs so how can I tell if something is not right?

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 11:13:23 PM »
            Check the % of cpu being used and tell us which process is using the most cpu and how much.
            Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

Mac

Unusually slow
            « Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 02:52:41 AM »
            How much RAM does the system have?

Click the link below and work through the cleanup routine and see if that helps any.

You can run a diagnostic test on your RAM and on your hard-drive to eliminate any problem in that area.

Armando

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 02:43:53 PM »
              Check the % of cpu being used and tell us which process is using the most cpu and how much.

I took screenshots of my processes and memory usage in the windows task manager. Have any idea where I can get an account and host them so I can put a link so you can see them?

How much RAM does the system have?

Click the link below and work through the cleanup routine and see if that helps any.

You can run a diagnostic test on your RAM and on your hard-drive to eliminate any problem in that area.

What link? What cleanup? Where do I run the diagnostic test?

(I apologize for being so oblivious and such a pain, but I am bad with technology)

Anyway, what I managed to find was the following:
              Pentium(R) 4 CPU
              1400 MHz
              1.40 GHz
              128 MB of RAM

adamhadem

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 04:47:28 PM »
              Windows Xp should have at least 256mb of RAM to run effectivly. Upgrade upgrade upgrade. I also think it would be a good idea to eliminate any programs installed on your computer that you do not need. Do not be redundant with ANTI blah blah programs.
              Xp's firewall is suffucient enough for the average user. Get a good antivirus program. Norton or Trend MIcro. hmmm what else. If you know how backup your comp and reload it do it. And keep doing it every 6 months. This will also ensure you are backing up critical stuff.
              The following advice is a bit tricky but there is plenty of info you can print off before you attempt. Go for it and then teach all of your buddies. This will always give you a fresh slate to screw up again. Hey its not your fault theres all that crap out there just keep on keepin on. BYe sorry this is not thorough. I just was swingin in. BY the way I am not an expert and if I had more time I would give you better or more ideas but I dont Good luck person.

Mac

Unusually slow
              « Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 04:53:46 PM »

Try using Photobucket.

Pentium(R) 4 CPU
              1.40 GHz
              128 MB of RAM

RAM is far too low for XP and a 1.40GHz P4

I use 768 with a PIII running at 1.0GHz

You should have - at least - 512MB to get any more out of your system.

Link at the foot of this post.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 05:06:22 PM »
              Agreed 128 is below RAM recommended for a pleasant XP experience. You coul probably get by on 256 if you turn some of the eye candy, etc. off, but 512 would be better.

Armando

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                « Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 05:21:30 PM »
                ..and again with my questions...

How do I increase the RAM capacity of my system? Do I have to buy something? Download?

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 05:28:06 PM »
                Yes you have to buy additional RAM sticks appropriate for that model. You can go to www.crucial.com and put in the make and model number of the computer or the motherboard to see what characteristics the RAM must have to work properly. You can get guaranteed compatible RAM from them safely or shop for a better price and take your chances.

Be sure to note how many RAM slots you have, and how many are open to expand to as well.

Armando

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                  « Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 05:40:11 PM »
                  Would the change be all that dramatic though? Beacuse I doubt my father would go spend money on more RAM slots when I have had the computer for over 5 years now. He will say that there's no reason it shouldn't work well now and it did before. No other way of increasing my RAM or any way to make it go faster with the already available RAM?

Also, why is it so low? Do most people have to buy extra RAM when they get a computer?

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 06:29:20 PM »
                  It would be more than adequate for Windows 98, even ME if you wanted that. But to buy the cost of these operating systems, you could have had more RAM.

The difference can be startling with XP. I bet the computer did not come with XP, though, did it? (5 years ago?)