Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual boot help needed  (Read 2904 times)

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Dual boot help needed
« on: February 09, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »
 Hi
 I've got a Toshiba satellite laptop that's got both windows xp (D) and windows 7 (C) in separate partitions on the same drive. At the moment when I turn the laptop on it comes up with a page asking which windows I want to use , what I would like to do is to get rid of win xp , format that partition and use the whole drive for win 7 and just have it boot to that. I've had a look in the disk management section in win 7 but when I right click in the win xp partition the format section is greyed out.
 Now I can put computers together and change bit's around and I can follow instructions but during 15 odd years of computing I've never tried anything like this , can anyone help please ?

Thanks , Adam

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Dual boot help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 06:15:47 PM »
Sure, many users here do that. But unless your are short on disk space, there is not much advantage removing something the works.

Likely Windows 7 has the XP partition as the boot device. Which means the removing it will prevent Windows 7 from starting.

One method is to create a backup of what you need and then just install Windows 7 again and use the whole drive. This is a custom installation.

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Dual boot help needed
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »

Hi

I was sort of expecting that type of answer as xp was installed first , but hoping there was a work around without having to do a reinstall.

Thanks , Adam