Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 1st post, i7 4970k add gigabyte z97x gaming 3  (Read 3096 times)

frldyz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    1st post, i7 4970k add gigabyte z97x gaming 3
    « on: February 13, 2015, 03:42:57 AM »
    Hi. This is my very 1st post.

I am building a PC right now. Well actually buying all the components, then building.
     I just bought the Intel i7 4970k Crucial Ballistix 16gb DDR3 RAM. I also got the Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 mobo.

MY background and experience with PC's is minimal to none. I am replacing our home desktop PC. I could go buy 1 pre-built. But I want this challenge.

Our PC will only be used for the basics. Email, browsing, word documents, possibly some light gaming in the future. But most storing family pics, vids etc. I might like to get into some home video editing in the future.

Is this mobo good for my needs.
     I would like to build the biggest and baddest PC I can.
     The more bells and whistles it comes with but I don't have Im ok with.

I've been reading about bottlenecking.
     Will this mobo hold me back from performance from my CPU?
     Will it limit what I can add or do to my PC in the future?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 1st post, i7 4970k add gigabyte z97x gaming 3
    « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 04:10:58 AM »
    That motherboard and CPU will work great together but there are a lot of other important components - If you want, list everything you are thinking about here as well as your intended use of the system and we'll take a look.

frldyz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 04:56:11 AM »
      Thanks.
      I also got Crucial Ballsitix sport.  2x8b RAM (16gb total).

MY intended use.... Don't laugh.  Promise not to laugh? Ok....  Just to replace our daily unit that is slowing down.  It will only be used to browse/purchase stuff off the net.  Youtube.  Email. Storing family photos and videos.  Possibly some gaming.  I have never gamed before because Ihave never had a system that would support it.  The biggest thing is family pics/videos.  After we had our daughter 19 mos. ago I used this computer daily for photos and videos etc...  I have no experience with photo/vide software and editing.  But I might like to dabble in some entry level stuff.  Just for personal use like making and editing family videos.  But othing Spielberg or dreamworks like material.

I have no budget.  So that is a problem.
      I do not mind spending more now then spending a little more sooner then later.  Parts, speed, technology wise.
      As I have been learning more and more about this project I am becoming more and more fascinated with and about computers.
      I do realize that I have way overkill for what my purpose is.  But that's ok with me.  I want to be able to do more things with this new computer then I have been able to n the past.  Plus think of it as supporting the economy when buying unnecessary overkill o performance parts.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 07:37:41 AM »
      Cool.  While it is certainly overkill, that CPU would definitely come in handy for editing video.

What are you planning for a graphics card?  If you aren't gaming you don't need one but you'd want to look into one down the line if you ever do decide to run some games.

Also make sure that you get a good power supply (do not cheap out on this or use one included with a cheap case no matter how tempting it may be) and I'd also suggest considering a solid state drive (SSD) to run your operating system since this will speed up load times massively.

I'd recommend using http://pcpartpicker.com/ to put a list of all parts you are looking at together so we can see it easier.