Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new hd and no boot to windows  (Read 4877 times)

ordy1

new hd and no boot to windows
« on: July 24, 2004, 01:18:15 PM »
hyas i hope someone can help me out here is whats going on: I bought a new hd and stuck it in one of my pc's and nothing worked so i stuck it in another pc and loaded windows xp home after that i took the new hd and put it back into the other pc and set it all up to boot first from ide-o and nothing else, well it goes to boot up and says "searching for boot record from ide-0..ok" then does nothing else but sit there with the curser blinking on the next line.
If anyone could let me know what is going on here or give me some hints on how i might fix this it would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Raptor

Re: new hd and no boot to windows
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 02:24:06 PM »
Did you correctly position the jumpers? Did you properly configure the BIOS?

ordy1

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 02:27:20 PM »
i have followed the directions to set up the bios from the western dig directions and i have set the bios up under defalt settings. i have put jumpers in and have removed them.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 02:46:42 PM »
did the pc you have place the hard drive have any problems? like the cmos battery flat check the ide cables if you have configured the bios to auto detect?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 02:48:21 PM by merlin_2 »

ordy1

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 03:07:35 PM »
i have checked all the cables all good. i did have a problem loading xp on this pc that why i took it to another pc to load xp on the hd i wanted to see if i had bought a bad hd but xp loaded fine on my other pc so i brought it back to the original pc and now i get this problem.
Now the problem i had earlier was when i was trying to load xp i had it first boot to cdrom and it said it was searching for boot record on cdrom but the cdrom light wasnt lighting up during this time the floppy drive light was running instead but checked all cables and such didnt find anything wrong there. Do you think both my cdroms are bad? and that could be my overall problem?

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 03:38:10 PM »
try this to see if you have an ide cable problem the hard drive with winxp attach it to the cdrom ide cable does it boot?or borrow the ones from your old one?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 03:38:49 PM by merlin_2 »

ordy1

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 03:43:33 PM »
i tried that it didnt boot . i just put a different cdrom in an put the xp disk in and got connot boot from cd- code: 5 so goin to look that up and see what it means thanks for the ideas so far.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 03:57:06 PM »