Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PS/2 keyboard seems to have specific ghosting issues.  (Read 5482 times)

Uninstaller

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    PS/2 keyboard seems to have specific ghosting issues.
    « on: March 14, 2015, 07:23:52 PM »
    As far as I was aware, PS/2 keyboards have no such ghosting issues and can accept any amount of keypresses successfully. As it stands, I've been having issues playing games due to what seems to be problems with specific key combinations. I can't sprint diagonally right (shift+w+d) but I can sprint diagonally left. In addition, I hear a beeping sound (which comes from the speakers) when this key combination is pressed. I'm using the PS/2 connector for this keyboard on Windows 8.1. Any help would be appreciated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PS/2 keyboard seems to have specific ghosting issues.
    « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »
    Do you have a more modern keyboard for a comparison? That are many variations on PS/2 keyboards. Do you know which model you have?
    http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/p/ps2.htm
    The above link has general information.
    The below link is for troubleshooting.
    http://www.computerhope.com/help/keyboard.htm

Overall, modern games work better with either a USB keyboard or a gaming interface. See the article below.
    The 10 Best Gaming Keyboards
    Does that help any?  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »
    For some games I have had to remap the combination keys with Windows 8.1 on my asus laptop for example and Driver Parallel Line video game. Once I went and remapped the keyboard controls for the game all was better for keyboard. Then the only issues I had was with some games and mouse control issues. Have you tried to remap keys or is there no option for remapping key functions in the game?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 07:17:19 AM »
    What you are referring to is "key rollover".  While it is true that traditionally only PS/2 supported full n-key rollover (being able to hold down any combination of keys and have them all register) - The keyboard also has to support it, it is due to the way that the keys are wired up inside the keyboard itself.  So to achieve full n-key rollover you need both a keyboard that supports it AND to connect it over PS/2.

Your best option is to either remap the keys, buy a keyboard that explicitly supports n-key rollover (or at least is capable of enough keys at once for your needs) or find another keyboard that just happens to allow the combinations that you need.

This video explains it really well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOkV9BalNcw

Uninstaller

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »
      I see. It is a fairly old keyboard, so some not-so-good wiring would be expected. Thanks.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
      Rwplace it...'Bout 10 15 Bucks...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "