Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there a way to fix broken/sticking keyboard keys?  (Read 2818 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Is there a way to fix broken/sticking keyboard keys?
    « on: March 21, 2015, 12:41:20 AM »
    My W key is sticking it seems on my Acer laptop. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

This is my laptop: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009JXJWZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Is there a way to fix broken/sticking keyboard keys?
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 09:57:29 AM »
    Compressed air ion a can can be used to loosen dust and grime from under the keys.
    Liquid solvents may do  damage to circuitry and dare to re avoided.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »
      I popped off the key, the W key. I'm thinking it may be an underlying problem. At first I'd hit W and it'd stick and so it'd essentially act like I hit W 3 times when I hit it once. Well, now it acts like I haven't released it and no respositioning changes it, it goes back to this activity. Thinking the key itself needs a replacement. Thinking I might replace my entire laptop's keyboard because other keys have issues and I think it'd be easier to get a new keyboard set up...if I can.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 07:42:14 PM »
        Sorry for double posting but I got relevant information.

Can a dead battery cause this kind of issues? Last night I turned off my laptop for the night and went to bed, no biggie. I just tried to turn it on and I can't get it to do so. I press power and nothing happens. It wasn't dead when I went to bed but I decided to plug the charger in and see if it was something like that.

Well not even then. I can't get the laptop to turn on now, which is reallly problematic because this has super important college stuff on it.

Edit - Unplugged the battery and plugged it back in. Turned on again. Quite strange but I don't know. Really interested in this key problem.

LusoTheGreat

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 10:27:53 PM »
          I dont think that a dead battery could cause that. You probably have a defective keyboard. For the most part laptop keyboard can be completely replaced. Also, you can try just unplugging and replugging the keyboards connection (worth a try).

Ps. I would do so only if you know what you are doing as taking of the keyboard does expose some rather sensitive parts (again, depending on the model)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 10:42:24 PM »
            I see. I think I'm going to have it replaced. Besides this issue, some of my other keys have general wear and tear and are getting old too. I just got worried because I don't see why I would of needed to unplug and plug my battery back in, I hadn't done anything that caused it so I got worried about that.

Either way, I need a new keyboard so I'll do that. If anyone has any ideas why my laptop wouldn't turn on until I replugged in the battery (never had to do that before in the 2 years I've owned it), please PM me. Gonna mark as solved as I'm pretty sure the issue will be fixed after the replacement.

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:55:59 AM »
            Hope you post the outcome after you replace the keyboard.  Would like to know whether that worked.