Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't install 64 bit Java on laptop  (Read 9606 times)

Kaolru

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Can't install 64 bit Java on laptop
    « on: April 11, 2015, 01:37:17 PM »
    I am running a 64 bit machine, but no matter what I try I simply cannot get 64 bit Java to install. It worked fine for my desktop(Windows 7), and it worked fine for my laptop(Windows 8). I am now trying to install it on my boyfriend's computer and I'm having nothing but problems. We need 64 bit Java in order to play certain games, and this has been very frustrating.

When I try to install the current version Java 8 update 40, I get the error code 1603 and even the Java website doesn't have any answers on that error code.

I then tried to install an older version of Java, which is 7 update 75 and I keep getting the message "The wizard was interrupted before Java 7 Update 75 (64-bit) could be completely installed. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again."

I get this message every single time. I've heard that it might be due to previous versions of Java being installed already, but I can't find them. The tool Java provides can't find them either. I've also used the Microsoft Fixit Program Install/Uninstall and it didn't work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't install 64 bit Java on laptop
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 03:28:42 PM »
    You might want to check the name of the CPU. I mean both the brand and the exact number. Thee is a very rare issue with some 64 bit  CPUs not have the correct implementation of some instructions.

Much more likely it is some other kind of problem. Like malware trying to highjack your installation of Java. About a year ago once source said most virus attacks were related to Java.

Kaolru

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 04:19:14 PM »
      You might want to check the name of the CPU. I mean both the brand and the exact number. Thee is a very rare issue with some 64 bit  CPUs not have the correct implementation of some instructions.

Much more likely it is some other kind of problem. Like malware trying to highjack your installation of Java. About a year ago once source said most virus attacks were related to Java.

Okay, this is the information I have on the CPU. Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.5 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache, quad-core)

As for the more likely option, do you have any suggestions as to how I may root out whatever this is? I know he has Malwarebytes as well as an antivirus program, but I will have to double check on which one it is. So far, Malwarebytes has not picked anything up in its scans.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »
      To my recollection, the CPU issue was with a few  older 64 bit cores.
      Malware Bytes is very good, but it does not get everything.
      You may want to visit the CH virus forum and get an expert to help you. I some cases it can take five AV programs, one at a time, to catch the bug. And even then, the experts on the AV forum will want you to post logs of things found on your computer.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:47:11 PM »
      Something to try:

1.Run the installer again, and have it fail.

2. Use File Explorer and navigate to "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\" There should be a folder created recently similar to the Java version/update you were installing. Java 7 update 45, for example, would be jre1.7.0_45. You should be able to just sort by date modified and find the latest one.

3. Inside that folder, there should be a file with a ".msi" file extension. (Of course file extensions need to be on; the 'Type' should be listed as "Windows Installer" or something similar.)

Determine the full path to this file.

4. Now open Start->Run, and try this. Be sure to replace the first segment with the path you determined!

Code: [Select]
      "C:\Path\To\File\installer.msi" /fa REBOOT=ReallySuppress IEXPLORER=0 MOZILLA=0 JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 SYSTRAY=0 /qn METHOD=joff REMOVEEXISTING=0

Explanation: Java has had a ridiculous and annoying bug in it's installation script for almost 4 years now. Effectively what happens is the installer finds a key that indicates Java is installed, but then when it looks further it finds it isn't, but at that point it panics and doesn't know what to do. The reason it looks for previous versions is because it typically tries to uninstall/remove them if they are an update to that version. The executable you run normally to install Java effectively just unpacks a few files and runs that msi that it unpacked, but if it exits due to the error those files stay around. This approach effectively tries to run it again, but this time specifying "REMOVEEXISTING=0" to tell the installer to not look to remove existing versions, which should sidestep the problem in most cases.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Kaolru

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 09:34:25 PM »

Use File Explorer and navigate to "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\" There should be a folder created recently similar to the Java version/update you were installing. Java 7 update 45, for example, would be jre1.7.0_45. You should be able to just sort by date modified and find the latest one.

I cannot seem to find the "Sun" folder. I get to LocalLow and beyond that I just have a Microsoft folder.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:37:24 PM »
        I cannot seem to find the "Sun" folder. I get to LocalLow and beyond that I just have a Microsoft folder.

Instead of System32, it may be in Syswow64.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Kaolru

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 04:21:33 PM »
          Instead of System32, it may be in Syswow64.

It is not in there either.

Celzium

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 08:48:12 AM »
            Deep scan your PC for trojan/virus...

Delete java traces

Kill Java process, close everything u can thru process explorer + AV + FW atc.

Remove CD/DVD media

Run CCleaner thru the registry.

Close all browsers then try again. If fail, boot to safe mode and install it.

Try that.