Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advice on my build  (Read 2387 times)

Kidryanpz

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Advice on my build
« on: June 28, 2015, 08:25:54 AM »
 EVGA 8GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800,
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
Corsair CX Series CX750M 750 Watt ATX Modular Power
Tb Hard drive, i7-4790K

does this sound like a good setup so far? I believe everything is compatible but i'm questioning the ram. To add on i'm not sure if 750 PSU is over kill or not will be buying a high end graphics card later on.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Advice on my build
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »
For a single graphics card you would be better off getting a lower wattage unit (around the 550-650w mark depending on the card) and going for a better quality unit, the Corsair CX line is a bit "meh" - It's good enough but you would be better off with a higher end unit such as a Corsair RM/HX/AX an EVGA G2/B2 or something from XFX or Seasonic.

What you have there looks good although I'd suggest going for a board with a Z97 chipset instead of Z87 - While Z87 technically supports that CPU it may need a BIOS update which would require a compatible CPU to do - Getting a Z97 chipset would be safer, and not cost that much more.

Kidryanpz

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:06:32 AM »
i got the Z87 motherboard from a friend to build an intel if i wanted and he used an i5/i7 i believe so would i need to update the bios? And i would probably buy this http://www.microcenter.com/product/445482/GeForce_GTX_970_Gaming_100ME_4GB_GDDR5_Video_Card. The reason why i say 750 PSU it's because, i'm also getting it for a lower  price from a friend so it'll just be overkill for now.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:03:06 AM »
Did the OP mention  the brand and model l of the Hard drive?
This could be the most significant factor in reliability.  Off-brand HDD units have a poor reputation.

Kidryanpz

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 06:00:08 AM »

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:50:58 AM »
That's a decent PSU however I'd strongly recommend getting it new, that refurbished one only has a one year warranty, new it should have at least 5 years.  A PSU is the sort of thing you will keep for a long time so it makes sense to get one with a long warranty.  And as I said before - 550-650w is more than sufficient for a single GPU system.

Kidryanpz

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 06:54:02 AM »
got it thank you so much :) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119 will be the final option
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:54:23 AM by Kidryanpz »