Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Spilled drink on keyboard  (Read 2456 times)

WallStreet

Topic Starter

Rookie

Spilled drink on keyboard
    « on: July 16, 2015, 07:41:58 AM »
    First of all, this is quite a long post. If you still bother reading it – you’re awesome, thank you!  :)

Ok, so here’s the situation: 6 months ago I knocked my Samsung 9 series (NP900X4D) on the floor, whilst at the same time spilling a drink on it (I think it was something sticky). Good job, right?

I turned it off immediately letting it dry. At this point none of the keys worked. The next day, several of the keys worked again (indicating that the fall didn’t do any damage, it looked like only the moist/fluid damaged the keyboard), and the computer itself works fine. Mousepad works fine too. The keyboard however, would press different keys constantly, so I ended up disabling the keyboard, and using an external one for about 6 months. No problems.

Now, I’d like to fix it, so I bought a new keyboard on ebay and replaced it. I also reset my computer back to it’s factory setting (just in case the drivers were messed up/malware or whatever). The new keyboard fixed a lot, every key works perfectly – EXCEPT for space. It works, but it keeps typing. As in all the time. I found out that if I press the ”fn” key, it stops typing, but only until I press space again. Then it goes crazy.

My guess is that the original keyboard was indeed water damaged, but I’m guessing  the motherboard or at least the keyboard connecters got moistdamaged too? I’m thinking of pouring isopropyl alcohol on the motherboard, and the keyboard connectors. Also maybe use a hairdryer on the ends of the keyboard connectors? What do you think? I’m a complete noob, but this must be an electrical problem in the connectors, right? Cleaning it might work? And could the isopropyl alcohol do any damage? I’d hate to replace a perfectly fine computer just because of the spacebar..

Any help is really appreciated!

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Spilled drink on keyboard
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 08:10:31 AM »
    If it's only the space bar it could very well be the case that the new keyboard is faulty too, I'd look into getting a replacement from the seller.  If it was a problem with the connector on the motherboard then it is very likely that more keys would have problems as several keys usually share each connector on the board.

What ever you do, don't pour alcohol on the motherboard and then use a hairdryer.  Put the alcohol on a q-tip and rub the connectors with that, then let it naturally evaporate.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 08:12:48 AM »
    Alcohol + heat = melted components.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

WallStreet

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »
      If it's only the space bar it could very well be the case that the new keyboard is faulty too, I'd look into getting a replacement from the seller.  If it was a problem with the connector on the motherboard then it is very likely that more keys would have problems as several keys usually share each connector on the board.

What ever you do, don't pour alcohol on the motherboard and then use a hairdryer.  Put the alcohol on a q-tip and rub the connectors with that, then let it naturally evaporate.

Thanks for the reply! Hmm, you might have a point there, however this particular seller is a guy from china or something (got it off eBay), so it might be hard to get a new one. Ill try, or maybe even invest in another keyboard, just to make sure. I won't use the hairdryer on the alcohol, but I read somewhere that putting heat on the keyboard connectors might reflow the soldier joints? And can I not just pour the alcohol on the motherboard/ connectors? I thought it was supposed to evaporate, do I really need to use a q-tip? I fear it might do more harm..

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 12:21:43 PM »
      Looked up your laptop.

The replacement keyboard should have had a warranty on it that it was free of defects. I'd contact the seller that you got the keyboard from to see if they have a replacement policy for a flawed product. As long as the keyboard wasnt stressed in shipment or by you trying to install it into this laptop, then there should be a replacement available for free or money back etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131430

You will need another keyboard I feel. Also given that this fell, have you checked your hard drive to see if its damaged at all. Many modern laptops have shock protection to stop a drive and park it quickly such as my Toshiba Netbook is overly sensitive to being tilted ever so slightly in which it parks the drive to protect it. So if this feature is available and enabled it may have protected the drive, however if you dont see any blats about the system sensing the sudden shock or tilt to it, then it might not be active or an available feature.