Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba Laptop keeps 'not responding'  (Read 2314 times)

egon

Topic Starter

Rookie

Toshiba Laptop keeps 'not responding'
    « on: July 23, 2015, 03:38:49 AM »
    Hi there,

It was running fine but lately any program you run or open it gets frozen and the top bar shows it is 'not responding' or a window 'non responsive script' comes up.
    I have adjusted the programs which launch upon starting up, I have run malware, spyware, scanned the whole thing and everything is fine.
    I am at my wit's end - any help?
    Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Toshiba Laptop keeps 'not responding'
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 05:46:15 AM »
    Memtest 86 should be run on system as well as CrystalDiskInfo to check the hard drive health.

Bad Memory or a Troubled Hard Drive which also can act as temporary memory for virtual memory can cause problems like this.

Lastly if you have done all of this and still have problems, I'd suggest a full clean rebuild of the system from factory discs or restore partition to rebuild it fresh after first backing up all important data to an external drive if this is healthy enough to do this.

egon

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 05:41:39 AM »
      I have been running memtest 86+ for almost 3 hours. It has done 4 passes and no error. How much longer shall I keep it running? Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 05:46:39 AM »
      Memtest86 showing no problems by now, I'd move on to a hard drive health check with crystaldiskinfo. If the drive shows up as Yellow ( warning ) or Red ( Failure ) status then it is the drive. Otherwise if the Hard Drive checks out fine, the best choice is to backup all data to a external drive and then perform a clean install. If after a clean install you still have a problem and the memtest and HDD passed then your likely dealing with a main board failure of some type.

Most problems like this are memory, hard drive, or just requiring a fresh clean build of the OS.

egon

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 05:07:22 AM »
        I have run CrystalDiskInfo and got yellow caution. There are blue circles next to all items but one - Reallocated Sectors Count which has a yellow one.
        Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 06:37:11 AM »
        I'd replace the hard drive as for it is heavily worn or damaged. If the problem you were having was only this ill hard drive, then the laptop will be cured of its problems hanging up on you.  :)