Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive question. (possibly a dumb one)  (Read 2216 times)

cpow85

Hard Drive question. (possibly a dumb one)
« on: November 14, 2005, 04:10:06 PM »
I am currently rebuilding my PC and i have a question regarding the HD i currently have and the one I want to use on my new PC.

currently i have a relatively old HP (works well but is outdated) which came with a 40GB IDE harddrive. For my new computer i am going to use this mobo:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081   and an 80GB SATA western digital HD.

My question is: Can i use the old IDE HD to run windows and the new SATA HD to run my games and anything else? or is that impossible? The basis is i dont want to go out and buy a copy of windows XP if i dont have to :)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Necrofelty

Re: Hard Drive question. (possibly a dumb one)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 04:40:20 PM »
I kinda have the same question.  Im looking to get a new motherboard and i was wondering if i can use my current hard drive, which already has data on it, on a new motherboard

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: Hard Drive question. (possibly a dumb one)
    « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 06:11:38 PM »
    Unless it is the same Motherboard the chances are no it will not work. Its a case of just hooking up the hard drive and seeing if it does. To the first post i would say no it wont. To second post you have a slight chance but its always best to reinstall windows.
    « Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 06:13:58 PM by Frankie »