Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 Update Policy  (Read 9073 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Windows 10 Update Policy
« on: August 18, 2015, 08:53:59 AM »
See, here's the problem with forced updates. Since a recent Windows update a number of folks have lost their icons for Microsoft Edge (I did), have lost the ability to launch Edge, and have had serious issues with the start menu.

The ONLY hesitation I had when updating to W10 was the fact that the user no longer has any control over updates. Given the fact that every once in a while a problematic update will slip through, it would make more sense to allow the user(s) to decide what, when and how to download & install updates. I'm now creating full images of my system drives on a weekly basis and keeping at least the two or three most recent versions. I suggest others do the same.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows 10 Update Policy
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »
Yeah, Microsoft's policy on updates for Windows 10 is really a sore spot with me too. 

Your solution is really the only option, it seems, to guard against potential problems that could arise from flawed updates.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 09:07:07 AM »
It's absolutely ridiculous they took that option away...

Even since the XP days i had it set to notify only.....why ? ?...nightmare update issues.
I would normally wait almost a Month to install the latest updates as they came to avoid issues.

Sad.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:50:46 AM »
Excellent ! !

Thanx Allan.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

artbuc

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 08:02:49 AM »
    Since a recent Windows update a number of folks have lost their icons for Microsoft Edge (I did), have lost the ability to launch Edge, and have had serious issues with the start menu.

Allan, why do these bugs appear randomly, affecting a relatively small percentage of users? Is it a function of specific hardware or perhaps the installed programs/apps? Just seems wierd.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 11:49:01 AM »
    Allan, why do these bugs appear randomly, affecting a relatively small percentage of users? Is it a function of specific hardware or perhaps the installed programs/apps? Just seems wierd.

The same reason that Car models can have a recall on something that hasn't affected some people.

Not everybody updates right away (I think you can defer them), and not everybody would use the software affected by the update. If somebody doesn't use Edge, they aren't going to notice that they can't launch it.

It can also depend strongly on configuration settings.

The issues do not appear "randomly"- it only appears random if the cause is unknown.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

artbuc

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »
      The same reason that Car models can have a recall on something that hasn't affected some people.

Not everybody updates right away (I think you can defer them), and not everybody would use the software affected by the update. If somebody doesn't use Edge, they aren't going to notice that they can't launch it.

It can also depend strongly on configuration settings.

The issues do not appear "randomly"- it only appears random if the cause is unknown.

Ok, but I did the same updates and Edge works fine. Maybe random is not the right word. Re the car analogy, recalls are almost always the result of a faulty batch of parts. There is evidence that a particular batch of parts will have an unacceptably high failure rate although only a few parts will fail. However, we are all getting the same software (I think) and our machines were working fine before the update created a problem. Not debating, just curious.
      « Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:38:13 PM by artbuc »

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
      « Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »
      And Edge works fine for me too (though I use Firefox as my default browser) - I just lost the icon (which I eventually replaced). But every system is different and some hw/sw configurations do not react well to some updates while others have no problems. Ditto drivers and some software. While MS and other hw manufacturers do their best to write software / drivers that will be compatible with as many configurations as possible, it's not feasible for them to foresee or anticipate all of the various permutations and combinations of software and hardware that we, the users, will throw together. I'm constantly astounded at some of the things users will do with / to their systems and still expect them to work as designed. Just read through forums such as CH - sometimes it's just jaw dropping ;)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 01:10:55 PM »
      Ok, but I did the same updates and Edge works fine. Maybe random is not the right word. Re the car analogy, recalls are almost always the result of a faulty batch of parts. There is evidence that a particular batch of parts will have an unacceptably high failure rate although only a few parts will fail. However, we are all getting the same software (I think) and our machines were working fine before the update created a problem. Not debating, just curious.

Alright. Another example.

One of our products is a software package for managing a Marina. It is software, so it has bugs. When we release a new version to multiple places typically bugs only appear on specific sites. Sometimes only on specific workstations

Why?

Because the bug might require that lineal moorage is being used. Perhaps the bug only manifests if they are using lineal moorage and accepting US tender on a Open reservation from a Customer who was not present on the last End of Month report. The bug might only appear on systems that have flags NOT set to specific settings because somewhere we might have forgotten about the 500+ flag settings we need to check. Maybe a bug is only present if the customer upgraded from a specific earlier version and skipped a version. maybe a report works fine in 5 places, but doesn't show the right account balances at another because that one site uses Open Item rather than Balance Forward style accounting. Or maybe that one place has been customized and is set to use 4-digit accuracy which conflicts with an accidental assumption towards the default 5 digits.

And I doubt our software is more complicated than Windows.

However, we are all getting the same software
      This is not really the case! While many of the same updates go to most systems, some updates aren't applicable to others  or are applicable only to certain systems. For example, Driver updates provided through Windows Update only appear to people with devices that apply, and certain updates may only be available/suggested or classed as Important based on your system configuration. If a bug is discovered in a component that means that, if a given setting is enabled that certain files may be corrupted, then an update is made available to fix that issue, but a separate update may be shown as available only for systems that have that setting enabled which effectively tries to fix the data issues. And that update could itself have issues or maybe the corruption fix causes other problems based on other particulars such as your file system.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

artbuc

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 03:59:25 PM »
        Thx Allan and BC. Have much better understanding now.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 11:48:56 AM »
        What about when the "bug" affects the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (and others) & it still hasn't been acknowledged or fixed?
        It's an issue that affects Windows 10 Connected Standby.  A password is required when waking up, even when all settings say not to.
        http://www.howtogeek.com/189224/how-connected-standby-works-or-why-your-windows-8-pcs-battery-drains-so-fast/
        https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3f69db/surface_pro_3_requires_password_after_sleep/

This is a big one, don't know how they missed it.  it's a Microsoft product, no excuse for it not working from the RTM.

halstead

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 03:16:07 AM »
          I don't noticed that since I never use microsoft edge. However, edge can be seen when you scroll the apps button.

richardf77

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 03:36:56 AM »
            I have the reverse problem. Cant get any updates to install, automaticaly or manually. Would love to be in the position of wanting to turn off autiomatic updates.

I have long held the opinon that Windows Updates are a nessesary evil. They might be a pain, they might seem to be cluttering up your machine but in this day and age i would be worried about running a machine without regular updates of the OS. Back in the XP days i used to be selective with Win Updates and sometimes would stop them altogether. I subsequently had problems when a key update (.Net framework i think) got missed and i had a lot of trouble getting the update and putting things right. After that i always allowed Updates to happen automaticaly, even though sometimes i felt certain updates slowed the PC down for a while.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
            There were updates today for Win10-64bit.  Among them is:
            • Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081455).

A reboot has been scheduled.