Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help me choose next monitor: 144hz 1080, 2k or 4k?  (Read 3118 times)

frldyz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Help me choose next monitor: 144hz 1080, 2k or 4k?
    « on: September 07, 2015, 03:50:14 PM »
    Here's my set up
    Corsair 760t case
    MSI Z97x gaming 3 MOBO
    i7 4790k - Non OC
    Noctua NH-D14
    HGST 4TB HDD for files
    Samsung 850 PRO 512gb for O.S and running my programs
    Corsair 750w PSU
    MSI 970 gaming 4 GPU - Non OC
    LG optical drive
    Rosewill card reader
    kingwin fan controller
    Windows 7 64bit
    Kaspersky A.V
    CC cleaner

This is my 1st build. Let me tell you I had a blast doing this and learned a lot from all of you. Thanks.

I will be running 3 monitors.
    Not all 3 monitors will match. But Oh well. Not right away anyways.. Maybe down the road they will.

These are the 3 monitors I have
    24" Acer 144hz
    And 2 old 19" 60hz monitor that came with a computer @ some point in time.
    I am planning to ditch 1 of the 19" monitors.

But I'd like to get a great quality, value, size resolution monitor for the center of my setup.

I was thinking orignaly 27" 1440 overclocked Qnix.
    27"+ 1440 60hz
    27"+ 2560 <--- that's 4 k right..?)

I built this computer with the intent of challenging myself to build a computer. I did it. And IMHO I did pretty well.
    What do I use this computer for...? Mostly internet browsing, internet videos, home pictures and videos ( might like to get into editing home pics and vids. someday...) and right now minimal gaming. But I def. want to get into gaming. How serious and hardcore will I be. Not much.
    Can my monitor run 2K or 4K when the other 2 monitors are running 1080?

So heres where Im @?
    4k with my setup and 60hz and probally a lower FPS
    2k?
    or 1080?

Again @ this time I do minimal to most gaming. ( we just had a baby, so I have ZERO free time ). But I would like to dabble in games. But I will not be a hardcore addict either.

-------------------------
    I know my computer set-up is overkill for what I do.
    I know I have a 144hz monitor and dont do much gaming. <--- but it was on a great sale.

Help me max out my potential from my 970 GPU

Thanks everyone.

Hopefully no bashing please.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help me choose next monitor: 144hz 1080, 2k or 4k?
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 03:55:46 AM »
    Terms like 2k and 4k are confusing.  A 4k monitor has a resolution of 3820x2160, you then get monitors that are 2560x1440 which is sometimes called 2k but this isn't really a general term, they are more often referred to as 1440p, much like how 1920x1080 is referred to as 1080p.

Given your GPU I'd recommend going for a 1440p one (2560x1440) - A single GTX 970 will struggle to run 4k whereas it will drive 1440p fine.  This will still give you a better image than you'll find on a 1080p monitor and will give you a lot more space on the screen for work.  You also shouldn't need to do any sort of DPI scaling on a 1440p monitor which you would likely need to do on 4k to make the text a readable size.

If you are seeing the "Virtual 4k" on the Qnix monitor eBay listings, don't bother with it, it's a worthless gimmick that the sellers put in the eBay listing to make it seem like a special feature.  All it is referring to is forcing the monitor to work at a non-native resolution.  If anything the image quality will be worse than running at the native resolution yet it will stress your GPU out more!

Also, don't feel like you need to go for one of those cheap Korean ones nowadays, it used to be the case that they were the only affordable option at 2560x1440 resolution however nowadays you can pick up a much better monitor such as the Dell U2515H for around the same price.

drynod

• Experience: Expert
      Re: Help me choose next monitor: 144hz 1080, 2k or 4k?
      « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 10:57:19 AM »
      Hey there,

I rarely post but I was in the same boat as you. I couldn't pick a monitor because there were a lot of specs I had to take into account, I found a really useful article however, maybe it will help you too. I ended up going for a 1440p monitor which I think will be optimal for your build as well.
      Check it out if interested
      http://thetechplanet.net/5-best-gaming-monitors/

Hope I was helpful :)