Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ghosting on my monitor  (Read 2842 times)

WED21

Ghosting on my monitor
« on: November 15, 2005, 08:37:51 PM »
I added a extension cable to my monitor add now it's having a ghosting effect on everything. This is my second cable because I thought the first one was bad. Does anyone know how to fix this? Where I need my CPU requires me to have a longer cable so I would really like to fix this. I have a 17" Proview LCD with a Radeon 9600 Video Card.

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Ghosting on my monitor
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 08:41:51 PM »
What do you mean by ghosting? Do you leave your monitor on 24/7?

WED21

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 08:44:23 PM »
It has an exact duplicate of everything slightly to the right and whitish looking. Like old TV's used to look with "rabbit ear" antenna's. And no I don't leave my monitor at on at all.

Dell4700

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 02:11:17 PM »
Wed,

Your cable combination is probably causing your problem.

-  high quality extensions can run as long as about 30 ft (total) for 1024x768@60Hz resolution.  Higher resolution settings will reduce useable length.  Several companies sell amplifiers/repeaters for even longer lengths (expensive).  Try a lower resolution setting or a shorter cable.

-  bad shielding in the cable(s) or especially at the connector(s) are prone to interference problems (ghosting, noise, etc.).  Try another cable from another manufacturer.  Try a different length.

-  placement of the cable(s)/connectors can introduce noise.  Your monitor, PC, other cables and nearby electronics can generate a lot of 'noise that can be picked-up by your cables (including itself).  Move the cables away from other electronics/cables.

Dell

WED21

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 01:30:47 PM »
I lowered my resolution and it did help. I guess I need to shell out $60 for the good cable instead of the $10 I did on this one!! Thanks for all the help!

WED21

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 01:33:19 PM »
I lowered my resolution and it did help. I guess I need to shell out $60 for the good cable instead of the $10 I did on this one!! Thanks for all the help!