Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will Windows 10 become free if you ask?  (Read 2245 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Will Windows 10 become free if you ask?
« on: October 30, 2015, 11:06:24 AM »
That is, IMO, a rumor and not a fact. So I put it here in Other.
For What its worth...
Microsoft planning to automatically offer Windows 10 to existing PCs
Source: The Verge   By Tom Warren on October 29, 2015
Starting early next year, Microsoft says it’s planning to re-categorize Windows 10 as a "recommended update" in its Windows Update system. That means the Windows 10 upgrade process will download and start automatically on thousands of machines. "A user will be presented with a choice to install Windows 10," explains Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s head of Windows and devices, in an interview with The Verge. "They’ll come back to their PC and there will be a dialog where they can choose to upgrade to Windows 10 or choose not to upgrade to Windows 10."
What?   ::) ::)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Will Windows 10 become free if you ask?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:51:56 AM »
The "Windows 10" upgrade is already "recommended".

Certain KB updates will show the "Get Windows 10" Notification. Before Windows 10's release you could "reserve" your copy. Initially, I thought this was straightforward- if you reserve your copy, then it will download and install it for you. Otherwise, it leaves you alone.

Evidently, however, I was mistaken, and Gave Microsoft far to much credit.

The KB updates are listed as recommended and important already. The one that installs the "Get Windows 10" program that shows the un-dismissable nag screen that can only be removed by forcibly uninstalling the appropriate update and them blocking it, is described as "fixing issues with Windows".

On both my my main Windows 8.1 systems I declined to reserve an update. I originally left the GWX updates present. "Microsoft could not be stupid, so lacking in brain cells, so populated by obtuse idiots, that they would violate such basic consumer trust and repurpose their Update framework to deploy marketing garbage?", But, as it turns out, they did. Both of these systems forcibly downloaded- without asking me- 6GB of information- the Windows 10 install files. When opening Windows Update- which I had set to "Download updates but let me choose when to apply them" There was no "Update" button. Instead, Windows Update says "Upgrade to Windows 10" and only shows the Windows 10 download. Instead of "Install Updates" it says "get Started". It is not made clear how to remove them. If I want to install Updates for my current system, I had to click "show all available updates", uncheck "Upgrade to Windows 10", which despite being optional was always checked by default, them check off the appropriate updates to apply.

Since there are about a dozen or so updates that Microsoft is offering that insert telemetry garbage and Windows 10 nagware BS, I just stopped applying updates altogether.

Microsoft has been making a lot of noise that they are giving users a choice. From where I'm standing they don't give you a choice- they instead constantly nag users to reassert their choice if it isn't the one Microsoft wants. if you decline to update they will badger you- Windows 10 still get's downloaded and prepared. it still shows up in Windows Update automatically.

I think even more disturbing is how many people are praising Windows 10 and Microsoft. Fawning over how there is a mock start menu and that totally fixes Windows 8 while ignoring how the entire OS has been lobotomized to the level of user control of a schoolchild's vtech computer.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.