Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My laptop computer thinks there's a PS/2 compatible mouse attached  (Read 15814 times)

JanB

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    I'd be grateful for any advice with the following.

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop (~6 years old) running Windows 10.

For some reason, I'm no longer able to use my wireless Logitech 505 mouse with it: the cursor does not respond when I move the mouse. For reference, the same mouse works fine with another computer and the built-in touchpad works fine.

I'm using the mouse with a Logitech Unifying Receiver Replacement Wireless Dongle and the Unifying Software is not seeing the mouse. Moving the dongle to another USB port doesn't make any difference, and neither does using another dongle (I have several).

When I check the Device Manager, two device drivers are listed: HID-compliant mouse and PS/2 compatible mouse. So I guess the problem is that my laptop thinks (incorrectly) that there is a PS/2 compatible mouse attached to it. When I uninstall the PS/2 compatible mouse driver, it's automatically reinstalled on the next start up.

Many thanks for any advice.
    « Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:06:28 AM by JanB »

Salmon Trout

Re: My laptop computer thinks there's a PS/2 compatible mouse attached
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 03:55:25 PM »
    The "PS/2 compatible mouse" is probably the touchpad. I suggest you might investigate disabling it, e.g. by reading articles like this

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241048/how_to_disable_your_laptop_touchpad.html

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »
    The touchpad is the PS/2 mouse.  No need to disable it.

If the Logitech mouse and dongle don't have the Unifiying orange colored icon printed on them, they are not Unified devices.

I have Logitech M325's on 3 computers; 2 laptops with touchpad enabled & 1 desktop with wired mouse.

JanB

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 03:04:59 AM »
      Salmon Trout & Computer_Commando - many thanks for your comments.