Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Single Threaded  (Read 4550 times)

jklangen

Topic Starter

Rookie

Single Threaded
    « on: December 16, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
    I am new to Windows 10 Pro having just purchased a new HP Pavilion with the Intel i7 6700, 16 GB ram, Nvidea Geoforce GT 370 graphics card, 2 TB hard drive.  It's only been a few days but noticed what appears to be a somewhat single threaded nature when doing a couple of intensive things that I have not noticed on Windows 7 (old desktop) and Windows 8.1 (laptop).  When copying folders with a large amount of files in from an external drive the mouse pointer would freeze.  At times I could move it to multi task but the mouse pointer movement was erratic.  Most of the time it would not move.  Tried Alt tab and Windows key tab to move to another open window and no luck.  I am done transferring files but just wondering why that file transfer consumed Windows 10 with multiple CPUs and a ton of memory.

Pretty happy with 10 other than the Onedrive and File Manager.  MS has made it a little difficult to not use the Onedrive.  I don't trust the cloud having been an IT data center manager and knowing the lack of SLA's in years past.  I want my own external drives to backup on that I can unplug and keep safe. 

Regards,
    Jim

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Single Threaded
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 01:05:03 PM »
    Well... I have no ides. Because 10 is the newest, you would think it the greatest and bestest windows ever. Apparently not.
    Possible relevance:
    Best Tools for Copying a Large Number of Files in Windows
    If you’ve been using Windows 8 as your main PC, you have probably noticed the vastly upgraded performance and user interface when copying files. Finally, Microsoft decided to revamp some of the core functions of the OS, which makes using Windows 8 so much better than Windows 7…sometimes.
    The author has some ideas about third party software solutions.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 05:26:57 PM »
    The size of the moved files coupled with it being an external HDD on USB speeds would likely cause the lags...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »
    It is a completely different PC, so far more - Everything, in fact - was different between it and those other systems.

I want my own external drives to backup on that I can unplug and keep safe. 
    OneDrive and other cloud storage solutions are merely one aspect of a data backup. They are not mutually exclusive to backing up to a secondary drive or an external drive.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.