Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive crashed I think?  (Read 3177 times)

becca32428

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Hard drive crashed I think?
    « on: November 18, 2005, 09:32:05 PM »
    I have a dell demnsion 2350 30 gig hard drive and an 80 gig slave drive. 1.8 gzh processor 768 mb memory. This is my problem...when I started my computer today all i get is the boot screen with the choices to start it in safe mode regular windows mode etc... then the xp logo comes up then I get a black screen , tried to boot from disk but do not have that option and zip happens just a black screen. My son says my hard drive has crashed and I need a new one...any ideas any one>> thanks...becca

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Hard drive crashed I think?
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 09:37:06 PM »
    Even safemode gives you the blank screen?

becca32428

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 10:07:31 PM »
      yes after i select safe mode the windows xp logo comes up and then blank screen.

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 12:42:11 AM »
        Can't boot from the XP disk?
        Did you set your cdrom as the first boot device in bios?

Dell4700

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 06:49:31 AM »
        Your PC is stalling during [Safe Mode] startup, which usually means that your system software is not loading or working properly.  This can be caused by a bad hard drive, corrupt system software, improper startup settings or many other things.

As mentioned above:
        If you have a Recovery CD/Floppy or operating system disk, you can use it to figure out what's wrong and maybe fix it.  These may have come with your computer.
        You need to load this disk first.  Put it in your disk drive while your computer is on, then restart your computer.  If you still have the same problem, then you must set your BIOS to read the recovery/system disk first (i.e. set your Boot Sequence to load the disk first - CDROM or Floppy).

You can get a recovery CD or other help with trouble shooting your problem directly from Dell Support here:  http://www.support.dell.com/

Dell

becca32428

Topic Starter

Rookie
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 07:23:38 PM »
          I have a xp disk wont work I get nothing I dont even think i can get to bios.I dont even hear the hard drive spinnin up......I think its dead!

Fed

• Sage
            « Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 10:11:36 PM »