Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with emachine  (Read 3944 times)

access

problem with emachine
« on: November 22, 2005, 09:28:40 PM »
my uncle brought me his computer and his computer had virus and so what he did is went to c drive and format harddrive and now it doesn't startup at all i tried to use the recover cd's but i get nowhere please help

thanks

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
    Re: problem with emachine
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 10:10:05 PM »
    You need to make sure your CD drive is the first drive in the boot sequence. Click here for an easy to read explanation on how to do it.
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 10:10:30 PM by DabbaDoo »
    There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

Dell4700

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 10:13:01 PM »
    2Without any information regarding your PC here's some tips:

- you say "now it doesn't startup at all."  Did you check the power cable.  Is it plugged in?  Or did you mean it doesn't boot successfully?  If so, tell us where/when it stops.  Your PC model, operating system, other details, etc. would help.

- you say "i tried to use the recover cd's but i get nowhere."  Do you mean they won't fit in your disk drive?  Try them in another drive.  Or do you mean your PC won't boot to them successfully?  If so, tell us where/when in the bootup procedure it fails.  Can you get into BIOS?  What error message(s) do you receive?  What is/are the titles of your recovery cd's.

If you don't understand some of the terms or procedures above, please read the "Read Me First" instructions for this Forum. http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=3;action=display;num=1109982244
    It will give you help in fixing your problem and/or giving us the right information.

Good luck!
    Dell

access

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 10:33:44 PM »
    computer turns on but on the screen get a error ntldr is missing  and i can't also get in to the bois screen so i remove the harddrive and installed it on my dell and the harddrive is wipe clean i loaded ntdect files and still the recovery didn't let me recover it just gave me t2042 gho error

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
      « Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 10:38:31 PM »
      and i can't also get in to the bois screen

Why not?

access

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 10:41:25 PM »
      don't know why but it does boot from floppy disk

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
        « Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 10:43:07 PM »
        Do you know how to get into the BIOS? Did you read the link I provided?

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
          « Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 12:23:59 PM »
          Emachine recovery discs use a ghost image.
          The ghosterr.txt message you are getting is telling you that the system cant write a error code to the recovery disc.

Make sure that the disc is in a rom drive and not an rw drive if you have both installed.

When you boot off the recovery disc do you get the screen with:
          1. Restore Windows X
          2. Boot to command prompt

If you do choose option 2
          Type in ghost
          Click OK
          go to:
          Local
          Check
          Image...from file
          Then in the 'Look in' field at the top (use the TAB key to navigate to this) use the down arrow to select the drive that has the disc in it
          Select the *.gho file and click go
          This will run an integrity check on your recovery media. If you get any errors then your discs are corrupt.

If you dont get any errors go through that same sequence but this time choose>
          Local
          Check
          Disc
          This will run a check on your hard drive.

HTH.
          A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

access

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 01:27:15 PM »
          i do get the recovery screen and also when going to start to recovery it say error with ghosttxt and then cancels the recovery i thing it might be the cds cause even when the system was fine before it was formatted it would never let me restore it
          « Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 01:31:19 PM by access »

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 08:22:34 PM »
          computer turns on but on the screen get a error ntldr is missing  and i can't also get in to the bois screen so i remove the harddrive and installed it on my dell and the harddrive is wipe clean i loaded ntdect files and still the recovery didn't let me recover it just gave me t2042 gho error

The hard drive in the Dell will probably not load correctly as it is the wrong components. SOme of these are VERY particular and only go on the machine they were designed for and sold with.