Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Athlon 64 X2 (W) 3800+ 2.0 GHz  (Read 2794 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Athlon 64 X2 (W) 3800+ 2.0 GHz
    « on: April 22, 2016, 03:07:34 AM »
    My old HP Pavillon a1600a has this CPU. After doing some repairs and upgrades last year, my HP continues to work great even after upgrading to Win 10. After buying and configuring a new desktop for my SIL, I am getting itchy for a new rig even though I am totally satisfied with my current one.

Just wondering, if I got a new PC with a faster CPU, eg Intel i5, would the better performance be noticeable? I am a very light user - average 1 hr/day surfing, email and on-line banking. Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Athlon 64 X2 (W) 3800+ 2.0 GHz
    « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:25:42 AM »
    Better performance would be:

Faster boot. Better Multimedia Performance. Better multitasking with less lag. Any games you play beyond the simplicity of solitaire will run better.

Remain the same:

Web Pages that dont contain flash or videos as well as e-mail will open and send about the same speed. Games bundled with Windows will run about the same like solitaire.

Question I have is.... is there something the older computer is unable to run or run well that you would need to upgrade? Personally myself if I wasnt a gamer I would be able to get by with a 14 year old computer. But the video games are what push me to have to upgrade in order to play the newest titles about every 3  to 5 years. I generally put 2 or 3 video cards into a desktop before the CPU starts to become the bottleneck and then go with a new build.

Myself being conservative, I generally run something I buy into the ground before buying another such as my 18 year old Honda Civic. If there is no dire need to have a newer computer, I'd save your money and run what you already have until it becomes untrustworthy or dies.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »
    How much you want for the Civic ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 10:36:42 AM »
      Question I have is.... is there something the older computer is unable to run or run well that you would need to upgrade? Personally myself if I wasnt a gamer I would be able to get by with a 14 year old computer. But the video games are what push me to have to upgrade in order to play the newest titles about every 3  to 5 years. I generally put 2 or 3 video cards into a desktop before the CPU starts to become the bottleneck and then go with a new build.

Myself being conservative, I generally run something I buy into the ground before buying another such as my 18 year old Honda Civic. If there is no dire need to have a newer computer, I'd save your money and run what you already have until it becomes untrustworthy or dies.

You and I are kindred spirits. My Toyota Avalon will be 17 in August and she is just getting warmed up. I do not have any apps which give my old PC issues. I have told my wife many times I am not going to get a new PC until the MB fries but the idea of a new rig keeps rattlin' around my head.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 01:14:37 PM »
      How much you want for the Civic ? ?
      I love my civic 2 door EX loaded with all accessories and plenty of power when VTEC kicks in on highway...  ;D 34mpg when I take it easy and about 25mpg if VTEC is running for long in higher 3000+ rpm range. Its going to be a sad day when I have to part with it. Fast car for a small motor!

I have told my wife many times I am not going to get a new PC until the MB fries but the idea of a new rig keeps rattlin' around my head.
      Does your wife have computing needs that require a newer computer?

Hopefully your wife isnt like mine and just wants new just to have new because old is old. Wife and I are opposites that way.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 02:05:26 PM »
        I love my civic 2 door EX loaded with all accessories and plenty of power when VTEC kicks in on highway...  ;D 34mpg when I take it easy and about 25mpg if VTEC is running for long in higher 3000+ rpm range. Its going to be a sad day when I have to part with it. Fast car for a small motor!
        Does your wife have computing needs that require a newer computer?

Hopefully your wife isnt like mine and just wants new just to have new because old is old. Wife and I are opposites that way.

She does not use the desktop. She does all of her stuff (which is not much) on her iPhone and iPad.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 04:48:51 PM »
        Cool ... well unless you have a need to have newer, I would just stick with what you have. But if your not happy with its performance and want newer you can buy newer. For what you do, I dont see a need to upgrade.