Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 30 second delay opening file  (Read 3298 times)

rfcjr

30 second delay opening file
« on: November 24, 2005, 12:09:10 PM »
Hello:

I really hope somebody can give me help with this problem. I am running win xp on a dell 2.66 machine with 512 mb ram. With online assistance I believe we have cleaned any current virus problem (hjt log looked good). However, I still have an annoying problem that nobody has yet been able to help me solve. The problem is that anytime I wish to save a file in the "save in" box, open a file from another location using the "look in" box or run a script from the start>run area or even bring up windows explorer (actually any box where I make an entry) I have an exact 30 second delay before any listing/result occurs. I normally turn off the computer at night and this suddenly occurred one morning after I booted up. The problem does not occur when I am running in safe mode or safe mode with network support. It just has the problem in normal mode. I initially thought it could be associated with my home network in that I set up another computer the night before. I was loading Linux on one drive on this other computer (physically connected to the lan) but wasn't ( I thought) doing anything associated with the network and Windows 98 on another drive on this same other computer.

I have run Mcafee, spybot and ewido as well as Microsoft's beta. I also ran Cwshredder and cclean. The hjt log looks ok. Looking at the events log I see some warnings that I don't quite know how to interpret. But, it looks as though windows is looking for something it can’t find or it is trying to "open in" or  "save to" something it can’t find. It then gives the called for result after it times out (at 30 seconds).  Ex. one error says "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service to connect". Another says "The device Root\Legacy - . NEIELD\0000 disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal". Please any help would be appreciated. This is very frustrating. Thank you in advance. Have a good Thanksgiving.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: 30 second delay opening file
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 12:15:52 PM »
In Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager rite clik your Burner and uncheck Allow Windows Backup for this device...

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rfcjr

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 02:07:17 PM »
Thank you for the note. Unfortunately I have another problem in that my device Manager window is blank and shows nothing. I'll try to fix that and get back to you. Thanks again.

R0SS

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 02:09:28 PM »
you could have a virus, have you Run a scan for Viruses and Spyware??

R0SS

R0SS

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 02:11:11 PM »
lol i really need to read peoples posts and not just the Title.

So you have already scanned,

hmmmm

Perhaps your computer just is low on RAM is there many things running in the background? Press Ctrl Alt Del then go to processes.

R0SS

rfcjr

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 02:18:16 PM »
Hello again:

There are a number of things running; but, I have about 200 mb of available memory. I am about to run Panda again to see what goes. I will get back to you. Thanks again.

R0SS

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 03:09:41 PM »
Ok,

Well if Panda comes back clean maby and your memory is fine I'm guessing that its only slow because your trying to open a big file.

Take my "My Videos" folder i have tones of episodes of scrubs in it and it takes a good 20-40 seconds to open depending on what else I'm doing.

How big is the file you are trying to open?
to give you a idea my one is 3 gigs of scrubs.

R0SS

rfcjr

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 04:01:43 PM »
The problem occurs in whatever I am doing - small or large file etc. Whenever I try to use the box "look in", or "save in" or when I start>run a script or even clicking on the Windows Explorer icon it hangs for exactly 30 seconds and then displays the results.  If I go to start>search>files.. and place a file name in the box to search it will hang for 30 seconds before the search button can be used. Even in IE when I put a url in the open box it will hang for 30 seconds before it activates. It is interesting that the time delay for any of the functions is exactly 30 seconds. Incidentally, I got the device manager box working; but, I see no "Allow Windows Backup for this device.." when I right click a device. Thanks for the help. If you can think of anything else it surely would be appreciated.

Mystik1982*

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 08:19:58 AM »
So you have Linux and Windows 98 on the same computer?  Just on different hard drives?  You can't do that.  Linux is picky and prefers the computer to itself.  It will run but with issues.  One of those I'm guessing you're having.

Duel booting with Linux is not a good idea, especially with windows 98.  If you leave it then your delay issues most likely won't go away.  Unless I'm overlooking something here.

Just because they are on seperate hard drives doesn't fix everything, they still know each other is there.  That's what I got out of those posts.

Good luck.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 08:36:39 AM »
What a bunch of cr*p, Mystik! Windows 98 and LInux get along great. This is absolutely NOT the source of the problem. It is obvious that you have not used this setup, at least correctly. Shame on you!!!!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Mystik1982*

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 11:31:44 AM »
Oh my bad.  That is just what I've been told a lot before.  Sorry, I wasn't trying to be misleading, just un-informed.

Everything I could find about the IMAPI CD rom service is that it's for drag and drop cd burn cabability.  Check in your services to make sure this is not set to disabled.  Although everything I found on that error was for XP, not sure about 98.  Can't hurt to look though, afterall a burner is a burner.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 01:01:22 PM »
    Ex. one error says "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service to connect".

Without stating the obvious the problem sure seems to revolve around this.

Having a bad day are we GX1 :-[ :-* :D

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 02:09:04 PM »
    It just burns me when people who have not actually used Linux (much or correctly) just repeat FUD they hear from someone else's brother, etc.  >:( >:( >:(

I appreciate Mystik owning up to having no personal experience with the situation.

GX1