Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What to do after rebooting to recover my data?  (Read 4448 times)

mjugend

What to do after rebooting to recover my data?
« on: November 24, 2005, 06:12:37 PM »
I created 4 floppies and successfully booted my computer running Windows Server 2000 after a Blue Screen crash. At the end of the 4th floppy it gave me the option to continue or to quit (F3), if I would continue I would loose all the data, so I quitted. What is the reason to boot from the floppies if I can not recover my data? Am I missing anything, what should I do in order to be able to boot-restart and be able to access the contents in my computer?

Thanks for any help.

MJ

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: What to do after rebooting to recover my data?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 06:47:43 PM »
You have your recovery data on a floppy? Not very reliable if one gets floppy gets corrupted. So what are you trying to do with your hard drive? Did you backup your computer to a  bunch of floppies?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 06:48:33 PM by Windows98 »

M. Jugend

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 08:29:32 PM »
I guess I wasn't clear enaugh, I did boot with the floppies because I coudn't start Windows, then when I got to the point where it finished the fourth floppy it gave me two options, Continue or Quit, if I decide to continue it tells me that I could loose all what I have in the computer, so I did not continue, I quitted.

What I wonder is if I would continue, would it give me the choice to Format or it would no matter what?

What I need is to be able to acces the contents in my computer, I did not have any data in the floppies, just the boot disk.

Hope that this explains better.

Thank you anyway.

MJ

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 10:41:17 PM »
What are you going to back up your data to?

mjugend

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 05:01:09 AM »
I do not want to backup anything, just to access my data (all the contents in my computer).

Mystik1982

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 07:09:06 AM »
There should be an option to repair the installation.  At one point during the text based process it should prompt you to repair the existing Windows installation.  Do that.  I believe the screen for this is when you first get started right after it detects your systems hardware configuration.

I believe you press R, and this will do a repair installation.  You will see the option if it's available.  This should keep all your files and the such, however any system settings you have will be deleted.

The repair option will be on the Welcome to setup screen.  I'm not 100% sure if this is an option in 2000 server but I'm pretty sure.

Good luck.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 08:39:04 AM »
I do not want to backup anything, just to access my data (all the contents in my computer).

Whatever...... ???