Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: White Smoke after PC Upgrade  (Read 6365 times)

Skyferia

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    White Smoke after PC Upgrade
    « on: May 30, 2016, 06:22:06 PM »
    I upgraded my build to this:
    CORE i5-6600 Skylake
    MSI B150M MORTAR
    2x Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133MHz Value RAM
    KINGSTON HYPERX SAVAGE 240GB SATA3 SSD (Windows 10 here)
    4x SATA HDD - MAINTAINED FROM PREVIOUS!
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 - MAINTAINED FROM PREVIOUS!
    Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W - MAINTAINED FROM PREVIOUS!
    What happened after power on: White smoke -> When enter Windows 10, only the SSD was able to be read.

What should I do?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: White Smoke after PC Upgrade
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
    First thing is to not use the machine until you find the problem, hopefully you unplugged the machine as soon as you saw the smoke. Running the machine in its current state risks causing more damage/having something catch fire.

What you need to do now is find what part caused the smoke, best thing to do is smell around and see if you can locate it that way.  Then check for any obviously burned components, and power supply cables/connectors.  If you saw where the smoke was coming from, focus on that area.

Are you using any sort of power adapters such as SATA splitters or molex to SATA cables to connect all those drives up?  I presume you must be as that PSU only has 4 SATA connectors. It's not unknown for cheap power adapters to short out and melt.

Skyferia

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 07:14:39 PM »
      First thing is to not use the machine until you find the problem, hopefully you unplugged the machine as soon as you saw the smoke. Running the machine in its current state risks causing more damage/having something catch fire.
      Yes I did, immediately, searched for the source but everything looks clean so I was confused.

What you need to do now is find what part caused the smoke, best thing to do is smell around and see if you can locate it that way.  Then check for any obviously burned components, and power supply cables/connectors.  If you saw where the smoke was coming from, focus on that area.
      The smoke dissipated as soon as I switched off -> unplugged -> removed cover of case so I could find the source but couldn't. So what I did is to wait awhile till the smell is lesser, reconnected the wires, then started the PC, it entered Windows nicely but well, see below (the question marks @ the left @ the 3 drives):

image upload no limit

Are you using any sort of power adapters such as SATA splitters or molex to SATA cables to connect all those drives up?  I presume you must be as that PSU only has 4 SATA connectors. It's not unknown for cheap power adapters to short out and melt.
      Yes I am using both SATA splitters & molex-SATA cables. They are still connected now. Could the connections be incorrect?

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 07:39:25 PM »
      A system that smokes and boots( still functions ), its likely a capacitor that blew its top and smoked off the electrolyte. Look for capacitor tops on main board as well as with power supply unplugged from power, 9 times out of 10 its a power supply capacitor, and if your careful you can open the power supply ( with powercord disconnected ) and inspect capacitor tops. Most have an X on to the top of them where when pressure builds they pop open at the X or bulge up and vent and smoke.

Lesser probable would be capacitor on video card. But given white smoke Im betting on the power supply losing one of its capacitors. The danger with running it with a bad capacitor is that the ripple could be severe enough to damage main board components.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 08:32:06 PM »
      I'm leaning towards the Power adapters, myself. It is the only reasonable explanation that I can think of where the drives in question would be missing but everything else otherwise fine.

From what I'm aware, the most common place to short is at the drive connection itself. Most of the images I've seen of this happening have destroyed the drive but in this case since it wasn't obviously it might be less mangled and simply preventing the drive(s) from receiving power.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Skyferia

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 10:54:46 PM »
        A system that smokes and boots( still functions ), its likely a capacitor that blew its top and smoked off the electrolyte. Look for capacitor tops on main board as well as with power supply unplugged from power, 9 times out of 10 its a power supply capacitor, and if your careful you can open the power supply ( with powercord disconnected ) and inspect capacitor tops. Most have an X on to the top of them where when pressure builds they pop open at the X or bulge up and vent and smoke.
        If it were the capacitor (not power supply, but motherboard etc.), I don't see it:

I'm leaning towards the Power adapters, myself. It is the only reasonable explanation that I can think of where the drives in question would be missing but everything else otherwise fine.

From what I'm aware, the most common place to short is at the drive connection itself. Most of the images I've seen of this happening have destroyed the drive but in this case since it wasn't obviously it might be less mangled and simply preventing the drive(s) from receiving power.
        Alright, assuming the source of burn was the PSU, can you recommend a good one? Since the current one seem to have bad reviews, I'll be changing it in the future anyway.

Lesser probable would be capacitor on video card. But given white smoke Im betting on the power supply losing one of its capacitors. The danger with running it with a bad capacitor is that the ripple could be severe enough to damage main board components.
        I really doubt it's the video card, since I'm using it right now and it functions as before.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 12:10:06 AM »
        White smoke comes from something link paper or grease. Bl;ack smoke comes from some plastics. Was it more like blue-gray smoke? That is Polyvinyl chloride
        FIRE & POLYVINYL CHLORIDE 

Skyferia

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 01:33:14 AM »
          Blue-grey then, I don't fully remember, I remember seeing smoke that is white-ish. What if it's polyvinyl chloride then?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 03:05:23 AM »
          That would be a wire that has overheated due to very high current level. Fix the problem and it will stop. because polyvinyl chloride does not burn by itself.
          But if it is the core in the PSU, you will have to replace the PSU. Once the core begins to smoke, the damage is permanent and it will give you trouble. The PSU shooed shut down whenever there is an overload. even after the
          If grease had been split on the motherboard,you will have to clean it off with alcohol and water. Rubbing Alcohol will do nice job
          Also, a fusible device will give of smoke, but just for a beef second.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 06:08:07 AM »
          With upgraded (and not cheap) new components i probably wouldn't use power connector adapters...
          Make a list of all connections needed and buy a decent Modular PSU for it...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 05:01:02 PM »
          I upgraded my build to this:What happened after power on: White smoke -> When enter Windows 10, only the SSD was able to be read.

What should I do?
          HDD is dead.  Motor locked up & burned out.  Remove it & sniff it.

Skyferia

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 09:27:28 PM »
            That would be a wire that has overheated due to very high current level. Fix the problem and it will stop. because polyvinyl chloride does not burn by itself.
            But if it is the core in the PSU, you will have to replace the PSU. Once the core begins to smoke, the damage is permanent and it will give you trouble. The PSU shooed shut down whenever there is an overload. even after the
            If grease had been split on the motherboard,you will have to clean it off with alcohol and water. Rubbing Alcohol will do nice job
            Also, a fusible device will give of smoke, but just for a beef second.
            I'm ok with replacing the PSU. What would you recommend? And can that rubbing alcohol be applied to both sides of the motherboard?
            Sorry, I don't really understand your last sentence, can you elaborate?

With upgraded (and not cheap) new components i probably wouldn't use power connector adapters...
            Make a list of all connections needed and buy a decent Modular PSU for it...
            Why not @ the power connector adapters? What decent modular PSU would you recommend?

HDD is dead.  Motor locked up & burned out.  Remove it & sniff it.
            You sound confident; and sorry, what motor?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 08:30:27 AM »
            RE: Quote from: Computer_Commando recommends you replace the  Hard drive and I agree. R place it with the same type and same or slightly larger size.

The hard drive motor can burn up. Really. And suck lots of power.

Apparently the PSU you have does not have any fuse in it. It should have clown. Did you or somebody else every make repairs to the PSU?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »
            HDD is dead.  Motor locked up & burned out. 

All four of them?
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 01:52:51 PM »
             ;)
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "