Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AI - Anyone try making their own AI Program before?  (Read 2027 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
AI - Anyone try making their own AI Program before?
« on: January 26, 2017, 10:39:43 AM »
Was talking with a coworker about AI ( Artificial Intelligence )  and he was asking how it works. My answer to him was that its like a feedback loop and sensory and depending on what is sensed there are laws in the code on what to do if certain conditions are met, but that additionally there is code out there that allows for the program to learn from cause an effect as well and build on itself so the programmer doesnt need to write code from then on, it can dynamically create its logic possibly as well based on the environment around it.

Then I got the question of well you program on the side have you ever attempted it. My answer was that long ago I did try to make a program that was more of a Q&A. It had no sensory and really wasnt AI because it was more of a to do list of if this is the input then this is the output. I tried to make it unpredictable though with seeded random generators such as if you asked it how are you feeling it would be a wide variety of feeling outputs but it really was not by any means what i would consider today an AI, but back when i was 12 years old I was determined and I spent about 3 weeks programming up an AI type of program in GW-Basic.

The problem I ran into was that I only had 64k of memory for my program and my program didnt store information in a file because while I knew enough about programming in GW-Basic, the code I wrote was lacking advanced programming techniques such as reading and writing to a disk which would have allowed for my program to deal with more information than that of what was nested within the program itself. All the data was contained in the code, so the program got bigger and bigger to the point that I hit the 64k limit of GW-Basic and that was the end of my attempt at an AI project when I was 12 in 1987.

Curious if anyone else here attempted at making their own AI or something similar before and any problems they ran into with it?

Later on when I found an adult DOS game that I cant share the title of here, it was funny that a lot of the way the program interacted with you was similar with the Q&A logic of if you enter this then do that as an output to the user of the adult game etc. In this game certain personalities were difficult to try to get to the goal of the game which I can also not discuss here. And this also was not AI but was entertaining trying to get yourself through a hurdle of chat to try to get what you wanted when the code was written as such that it acted like a real female that wasnt easy and you had to work for it etc. Of course one could play these types of games and write down a flow chart and then know how to answer each question to get from A to Z without going backwards or stuck in a loop of failed progression. The game was a game a friend gave me on a floppy disk and we all took our tries at getting lucky to get from A to Z to beat the game I guess you could call it by getting to the final goal of the game for the fake personality female that you were interacting with.