Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Won't Connect to Wifi while other devices still connect  (Read 5681 times)

Bubbakill

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    My laptop, phone, tablet all are able to connect and use the wifi I have set up, but my computer cant use the wifi.

It's a Windows 8.1, 64 bit, 4 years old.

When I try to connect to the Wifi it says "Unidentified Network." In the Network Connections screen and in the pop up side tab in Networks on the wifi connection it says "limited."

Any ideas on anything I need to do to fix it?
    I'll try to post some images but I'm typing this on mobile so it'll take a few minutes.

Thanks

Bubbakill

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Computer Won't Connect to Wifi while other devices still connect
      « Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:59:22 PM »
      You have an issue with Wi-Fi.  Ralink RT5390
      You said:
      It's a Windows 8.1, 64 bit, 4 years old.
      What is the computer? Laptop? Desktop? Made by HP, Dell, IBM or other?
      Model number?
      Did it ever work on any Wi-Fi anytime before?
      Have you tried using another Wi-Fi adapter?
      This resown I ask it you can save a lot of time just by tiring another adapter. I see the adapter you are using is a Ralink RT5390R. Is this a built--in device?
      Possible help:
      https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Ralink-RT5390-802-11b-g-n-WiFi-Adapter-need-drivers-and/td-p/5470105

Bubbakill

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 09:26:11 PM »
        You have an issue with Wi-Fi.  Ralink RT5390
        You said:What is the computer? Laptop? Desktop? Made by HP, Dell, IBM or other?
        Model number?
        Did it ever work on any Wi-Fi anytime before?
        Have you tried using another Wi-Fi adapter?
        This resown I ask it you can save a lot of time just by tiring another adapter. I see the adapter you are using is a Ralink RT5390R. Is this a built--in device?
        Possible help:
        https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Ralink-RT5390-802-11b-g-n-WiFi-Adapter-need-drivers-and/td-p/5470105

I've used the computer for 4 years and the router for longer.
        Computer is an HP. Model is a HP Pavillion Slimline s5-1414 PV
        A desktop
        The computer had wifi from the same router for years. I turned on the computer after work and it would no longer connect to wifi
        I haven't tried another Wifi adapter. Yes, the Ralink is built in to the computer

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:47:22 PM »
        OK. The link I gacve above is from the HP web site. It just suggest doing a download of the drivers. But my guess is that that is not the problem., unless something happended that would have damaged the drivers for the device. I doubtr taht, but I am often wrong.

But here is a  way to beak the problem into two parts.
        Below is a cheap USB Wi-Fi adapter. Find one at Amazon, Walmart or even eBay for about $15. Even less.

Use another adpater to see if taht solves the problem. If so, then just use an external USB adapter and forget using the buil-in.

If a new or borrowed adapter does not work, the problem is in somthing else.

Does use of Etrhernet work cable work alreight? This is an important clue.

If neither Wi-Fi or Ethernet works, install networking all over again. Trying to isolate the exact cuaase is time-consuming.

It is posible the NEATGEARrouter  has been  changed to a securty level only the HP does not have. Posible, and not likely. But it could happen.
        That is the best I can do for now.  :)

Hackoo

Hopeful
        « Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 05:38:15 AM »
        Hi  ;)
        I wonder if you have installed AVAST on your PC or not ?

Bubbakill

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »
          OK. The link I gacve above is from the HP web site. It just suggest doing a download of the drivers. But my guess is that that is not the problem., unless something happended that would have damaged the drivers for the device. I doubtr taht, but I am often wrong.

But here is a  way to beak the problem into two parts.
          Below is a cheap USB Wi-Fi adapter. Find one at Amazon, Walmart or even eBay for about $15. Even less.

Use another adpater to see if taht solves the problem. If so, then just use an external USB adapter and forget using the buil-in.

If a new or borrowed adapter does not work, the problem is in somthing else.

Does use of Etrhernet work cable work alreight? This is an important clue.

If neither Wi-Fi or Ethernet works, install networking all over again. Trying to isolate the exact cuaase is time-consuming.

It is posible the NEATGEARrouter  has been  changed to a securty level only the HP does not have. Posible, and not likely. But it could happen.
          That is the best I can do for now.  :)

I tried a different adapter this morning and it still won't work. I'm going to try reinstalling networking and gonna check if I have AVAST too

Bubbakill

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 03:19:33 PM »
            Ethernet does not work either. How do I reset networking information? I tried searching online but each one seemed pretty different

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »
            There are a number of tutorials on how to repair and install windows 8 netwokrs.
            In general, you remove all drives for all network devices.
            The you install a driver, such as the Ethernet card driver.
            This is hard to do, because you don't have a connection to the internet to download a new and/or updated driver for your 64 bit windows 8.
            So you have to use a another PC to get the driver and put it on a USB flash drive and bring it to the sick PC.

Cone the driver is in place, you do the network wizard over again. You can use the same name for the PC.

Follow these steps to run the network setup wizard:
                In Windows, right-click the network connection icon in the system tray. ...
                Click Open Network and Sharing Center.
                Click Set up a new connection or network. ...
                Click Set up a new network. ...
                Click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to set up a wireless network.

For HP, there is a tutorial about Wireless connection repair.
            https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03314609

You objective is to get windows to do the whole network stuff over again. This should take card of any files the got damaged.

This article might be an easy read...
            How to Network Windows 8
            Expect this to take about twenty minuets once you have the drivers installed.
            Hope that helps.  :)

EDIT: Forgot a detail. For when  a PC was off  off the network for awhile, the security does not work. The router drops the PC from is list of know devices. The router wants you to press a button on the router to confirm that a arrange device is joining the network. Sorry I don't know where this is documented.  :-[

lyndhurst

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 06:41:07 AM »
              Did you solve the problem?  If Yes?   How?