Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: beeps at first now nuthin  (Read 7439 times)

aaronme2

beeps at first now nuthin
« on: December 08, 2005, 02:34:07 PM »
i'm gettign the beeps of death. i put in a new memory card, adn left the fan resting on the videocard when i turned in on, my bad. after hooking up the fan and chekking all the conections i turned the computer on and got 5-8 beeps, the about 20 sec later 2-3 more. the monitor light was on but the screen was black.. so i unplugged every cord adn plugged them all back in when i got my second problem. i unpluged the led lights adnthe power and reset switches, but forgot the order they go in so now my computer  won't even turn on at all. so these are my 2 problems. i would apprieceate some help cus i want to get this *censored* homework done on my own computer, not my dads -_-

aaronme2

Re: beeps at first now nuthin
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 02:40:14 PM »
okay fixed the mixed up cord thing but now the beeps of death are even worse. it has 5-8 beeps THEN SHUTS OFF!!!WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 02:50:26 PM »
    aaronme2....
    i put in a new memory card

Does the new memory exactly match the existing ram ?
    adn left the fan resting on the videocard

Why was the fan just laying on the vid card ......that doesnt sound right or does the vid card have it's own cooling fan .
    my bad. after hooking up the fan and chekking all the conections
    perhaps you could try and explain this part again .
    i turned the computer on and got 5-8 beeps, the about 20 sec later 2-3 more.

You didnt tell us what what kind of bios that pc uses , but at a guess the problem is related to the new ram you've
    installed ...... Exactly what type of ram was installed and what type are your trying to install .....and are you replacing the ran that was installed or just adding to it ?

please let us know

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 02:54:34 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 02:52:08 PM »
      aaronme2
      okay fixed the mixed up cord thing

What mixed up chords .......I thought you were adding ram ?

aaronme2

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 02:59:37 PM »
      okay my computer wouldn;t turn on because i unplugged the power switch cable, and plugged it in wrond, i unplugged it cus i read somehtign that said might have a bad connection adn should unplug everything adn plug it all back in. so now my compute turns on, beeps adn turns off. i got rid of the bad memory card and put the old one back in adn i'm still gettign the beeps and shut downs.. i dont; know my mobo type and i put the original memory back in but i'm still getting beeps and shutdowns, no video

aaronme2

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 03:02:21 PM »
      and the fan was on the video card because thats where i put it when i'm working on my computer so it isn't in the way. i am supposed to put it back on the processer, but i sometimes forget adn turn the computer on, nad it shuts off until i put it badck and disconnect adn reconnect the mobo's power supply

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 03:07:22 PM »
         aaronme2...... Ok ......try and relax . So we have multiple issues we're dealing with here .  Can you tell us exactly what happened and in what order ?

aaronme2

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 03:14:54 PM »
        okay. i want to play a game. but i requires more memory. now i'm not computer savvy so i didnt; know that i can;t put any old memory in. so ifound some in the office and tried to install it. during installation i had to take the fan off becasue it was getting in the way. i set it on the video card. so after i put the new memory card in, i forgot to put the fan back on the processor. so when i turned on my computer it turned on without any beeps but the fan failed adn my computer shut down. on my computer when i do that i have to unplug adn replug my motherboards power supply adn that allows it to stat up again after i put the fan back. so i did that and i got these beeps, and no video. so i came her after 4-5 trys and saw that someone else had a problem like mine and one of the 'expert' people told him to unplug evethign and plug it all back in. so i did that and when it came to the power and reset switches and the led lights for the front of my computer, i unplugged them and reconnected them wrong. then my computer wouldn;t start up at all. so i fixed that. now i have a bigger problem. i put the old memory back in the right spot, and now when my computer starts it makes 5-8 beeps, then shuts down, until i restart it, where it does the same thing

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 03:16:22 PM »
          aaronme2..... LOL .....pardon me for laughing ......but I conjure up a mental picture of a guy opening up his pc and throwing out the bits and pieces and disconnecting the wiring ......and the caption reads ....... "I read somewhere that its a good idea to check all the connections"

Ok .....lets start with the basics .......Can you tell us what kind of a pc you have .....a model would be nice and then we can find a motherboard manual and confirm that the wiring is correct and also it will tell us what kind and how much ram it will support .

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 03:23:03 PM »
          Put everything back the way it was before you touched it and weld the case doors shut for the love of Charles Babbage.
          « Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 03:24:05 PM by Raptor »

aaronme2

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 03:28:57 PM »
          its a custom pc, i update it wit h new parts every now and then, most ly at christmas. i don;t know alot about it i just knwo enough to fix minor problems. but i haven;t had one like this before

the mother board says 686 amibos bu03 4056
          and i have 2 hdd. both samsung one 20g and the other 30g. the memory i have with me have numbers. one says century j26139 9942k japan ct64s08t-1 on each of its 8 black things and the other is a128 pc133 and thats he one that worked and i never removed.....till now

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 03:41:17 PM »
            aaronme2...... ok based on the info you posted ...it sounds like you have a AMI Bios ......here are the beep codes ......... It also sounds like you have SD ram installed  128mg pc133 .....  But need you to look again for the name of the mobo .  

AMI BIOS BEEP CODES

The following are AMI BIOS Beep Codes that can occur. However because of the wide variety of different computer manufacturers with this BIOS the beep codes may vary.

Beep Code Descriptions
            1 short DRAM refresh failure
            2 short Parity circuit failure
            3 short Base 64K RAM failure
            4 short System timer failure
            5 short Process failure
            6 short Keyboard controller Gate A20 error
            7 short Virtual mode exception error
            8 short Display memory Read/Write test failure
            9 short ROM BIOS checksum failure
            10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error
            11 short Cache Memory error
            1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure
            1 long, 8 short Display/Retrace test failed

aaronme2

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 03:47:40 PM »
            there are 8 beeps, so its a memory failure, but even after puttig nthe correct memory back in i'm havign the problem. oh and its an amibios 686

aaronme2

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 03:53:00 PM »
            okay i switched the red led adn the power switch cabesl around adn that stopped it shuttign down now i get 10 beeds, then 3 beeds a few seconds later

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 03:56:17 PM »
              aaronme2....By any chance , do you have a manual for your motherboard ....... and also have you removed the cpu and it's heatsink ........we know you have taken off the fan.........that may also be contributing to your issue

« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 03:56:35 PM by dl65 »