Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buying new Windows 10  (Read 10343 times)

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Buying new Windows 10
    « on: August 20, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
    I have an old pc - Windows Vista - that I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Home version.  On checking on the net for the best genuine buy (which seems to be from MS & just under £100) all I seem to find is product keys (around £20 to £30), presumably for dodgy versions.  I'm not sure if these latter include the whole program or not - doesn't sound right to me.  The one seemingly genuine ad was for the Pro version at around £60, although I would have thought the Pro version would be more expensive than the Home.  Any advice and comments, particularly about the product keys, will be appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Buying new Windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 08:45:46 AM »
    I would only get it thru MS...call them.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 08:49:18 AM »
    P.S. If you are registered at Uni you qualify for a decent discount...
    All you need to qualify is a Uni. valid email address.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
    You could buy it at numerous legitimate sources, such as Staples, Office Max/Office Depot, Amazon.com, newegg.com, microcenter.com, etc.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 10:15:16 AM »
    I assume he isn't in the States...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 12:05:54 PM »
    I assume he isn't in the States...
    They have Staples, Office Depot, Newegg and Amazon outside the USA. Only Microcenter does not operate or ship here in the UK, where the OP is based.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0111YEBY4/ref=asc_df_B0111YEBY445188044?smid=A34T8FI0VLC5OJ&tag=hawk-future-21&linkCode=df0&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B0111YEBY4&ascsubtag=trd-943204951-21

Beware of OEM products which are not legal full retail products.
    « Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:05:36 PM by Salmon Trout »

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 03:21:29 PM »
    just taking a step back before you proceed, have you checked the Vista PC will handle Windows 10?

it should, but it won't hurt to run the Windows 10 Compatibility utility to find out first.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 04:50:28 PM »
    I doubt it will..

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 02:21:32 AM »
    My 2009 Dell laptop went from XP to Windows 10 with no problems.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 05:06:35 AM »
    @silkie,
    what make and model is the PC?
    laptop or desktop?
    you can always check the manufactures website for driver for Windows 10 before you commit.
    also remember to check for 64bit drivers if you plan on upgrading to Win10 64bit.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 04:57:32 PM »
    To put it into perspective, Microsoft set the price of Windows licences, not the retailers.  If a retailer is selling a licence significantly cheaper than other places, either they have decided to sell at a loss or are selling a fake/recycled licence.

I generally buy from reputable PC component retailers - I see you're in the UK (same as me) - I tend to use places like Scan, Ebuyer, CCL, Novatech, Misco.etc.  Amazon is also technically okay although I'd only get something that comes entirely from Amazon, avoid marketplace or "fulfilled by Amazon" sellers.  As much as I love eBay, I'd never buy any sort of software from it.

As patio mentioned, if you are in higher education, definitely check what you can get, my university offered "Dreamspark Premium" (now known as Microsoft Imagine) which offers an absolute tonne of different Microsoft software for free.  I got at least 5 Windows licences for various version that all upgraded to Windows 10 for free :P

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »
      Thanks for replies.
      Just to answer some points made - I am in the UK and of course I know that genuine versions, with the license key to go with it, can be bought over the counter at lots of reputable stores and online. I will probably end up getting the genuine article.   I am confident that my pc will cope with the new os.  As an oap I am way out of the Uni student category, unfortunately...
      What I would like is some clarification of the license key use in the ads that I referred to - my understanding is that the code they give is needed to activate the program - but what program?  These license ads can't be offering the full Windows 10 program - are these codes needed to ok pirated versions obtained separately?  That would mean that these ads are really illegal?                       

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      « Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 12:00:55 AM »
      what ads?, can you provide the links?

but generally, if they are displaying the license key in the ads, that is a big red flag.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 12:36:23 AM »
      If you can provide a Model number for your PC, we could help look into compatibility. For the most part even in the worst case scenario, you can typically use Vista Drivers for hardware devices if necessary, there are some cases where a Vista computer might not work properly with Windows 10.

*censored* to the issues regarding key reseller websites or ads that offer to sell you keys, you can find a lot of websites that claim to offer Windows 10 Keys for much cheaper than Microsoft sells them. You can also find a LOT of people who recommend the websites, and swear they are legitimate.

They aren't.

The reseller websites that do this are able to offer them for so cheap because they aren't legitimate. I've seen a few youtube channels who I otherwise expected to be reasonably competent stand by their claims that key resellers are legitimate, usually with some stupid anecdote "I bought a key a year ago and it still works" as if that proves it's legitimate. Don't believe them, because they have no idea what they are talking about.

I don't know all the ways reseller sites obtain them, but it seems like one approach is to directly ask MSDN subscribers to generate keys, offering 5-10 dollars for each key. I know this because I have received (and ignored) these requests from a few Key resellers over the last few years.

The reason that makes it not legitimate is that it violates the MSDN subscription terms. When such a violation is found, not only is the MSDN subscription terminated altogether but all generated product keys attached to that account are blacklisted.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 03:55:09 AM »
      I believe that there have been cases where a Windows update has invalidated an apparently "valid" key obtained from one of those sites.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 04:27:55 AM »

Thanks for further replies -

My pc is : Chillblast Fusion Ninja 18749, bought in Nov 2008  with basic relevant specs, as quoted in original sale docs, as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Processor (3.33Ghz)
        Asus P5K-SE/EPU Motherboard
        GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB Graphics Card ***  Replaced a couple of years ago with NVIDIA GeForce 210
        500W Power Supply
        4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory
        20x DVD-RW Optical Drive
        750GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk *** I now have a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB which I intend to fit (hence this overhaul).
        Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio

Compatiblity should be ok, but my knowledge is limited.

With regard to the ads - I looked mainly at Ebay (UK) under Computer Software - Windows 10, and there are pages of cheap offers. I am still not clear - are they really for the license plus the full program?  After reading your comments I will give them a miss.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 07:11:32 AM »
        Hardware looks ok for supporting Windows 10. Thinking only questionable drivers are Network and Sound support, but Windows 10 should have a generic driver that works for those with that board. The CPU is 64-bit and the GPU modern enough.

Note that Geforce 210 is a weakling compared to the 9800GTX you had. Depending on what you do with the system you might not notice the difference but if gaming, that Geforce 210 is not the best of performance. I ended up putting a 9800 GT back into my wifes system when the newer Geforce GT 430 video card was noticeably weaker since they changed their GT designation to intro cards. If your video is laggy, you will want to get a newer GTX.

9800GTX = score of 889 https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+9800+GTX%2F9800+GTX%2B
        Geforce 210 - score of 177 https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+210

I have a GT 730 that is right around the performance of the 9800GTX, but that the 9800GTX would out perform my GT 730 in certain situations. Score of 921 https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+730
        And while the GT 730 works, it struggles with some games I run. So I have a GTX 260, GTX 570 and a GTX 780 in 3 better systems.

GTX 260 = 1129
        GTX 570 = 4415
        GTX 780 = 7975

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 07:11:58 AM »
        I'd avoid any of the cheap eBay licences, they are almost all ripped off of scrapped PCs and are not allowed to be resold.  Sure they may work but you are effectively still running a pirated copy and by purchasing them you are funding the unscrupulous recyclers that are selling these keys.

Mark.

Adviser
        • Forum Regular
          • Yes
        « Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »
        +1 with Salmon Trout's last comment.

if you buy the key from eBay etc, what guarantee do you have with the key not being sold again or already being sold prior?

I've seen many PC's show the Your copy of Windows is not genuine suddenly in the lower right corner of the screen for no reason.
        After some update, MS has finally detected that the key used has been either used elsewhere before or has been listed on their blacklist tables.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 12:17:05 AM »
        I've seen many PC's show the Your copy of Windows is not genuine suddenly in the lower right corner of the screen for no reason. After some update, MS has finally detected that the key used has been either used elsewhere before or has been listed on their blacklist tables.
        That's not "for no reason". It's for a definite known reason.

Mark.

Adviser
        • Forum Regular
          • Yes
        « Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 04:37:07 AM »
        well, Yes, you and I and the people in the know understand the reason. :)
        but the poor pleb with the PC that has been working just fine for months or years, suddenly gets a "non genuine" error doesn't see the connection or understand the reason.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 04:30:59 AM »
          Again, thanks for further replies -

DaveL, your comments re Graphics appreciated.  I was told when the GeForce 210 was fitted that it had limitations - I'll upgrade if it hampers things.

All comments have helped make up my mind and I've ordered the genuine article from Amazon.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 03:01:53 AM »
            Just in case anyone still interested -

ssd + another 4Gb memory installed together with genuine Windows 10 (all much easier than I thought) and no problems so far.

Except - no drivers for my printer (Canon Pixma MP240). Website suggested drivers for Windows 7 might work but decided to get new printer.  Could kick myself for not thinking of that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 04:51:39 AM »
            Drivers haven't significantly changed in what features they have to support since Windows Vista. For that Printer the Windows 7 x64 drivers should be sufficient. I havev an old Inkjet printer for which the Vista x64 drivers work fine on Windows 10, for example.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 05:30:24 AM »
              Thanks very much BC - I was taking Canon's webpage for granted - I was worried that an alternative driver would mess something up.  I've now downloaded Windows 7 64 bit and all is well.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 07:09:13 AM »
              Good to hear you're all up and running...